Chapter 3 : Change

Chapter : Change

But then change is a good thing. It is an important and inevitable part of life. Important, because it helps us improve. Inevitable because life doesn't ever stay the same. The universe is constantly changing. It's expanding every day. New stars are born daily as the old ones perish. The earth too is constantly changing. Each day is different from the previous one. Since its creation, there have been many changes on earth, from the surface, to the core, to the atmosphere. It changed itself to what it is today, a habitable planet. If a caterpillar stays the same, how will it ever learn to fly? Morphing into a beautiful butterfly, change alone can help it to fly. Since the times of the earliest human beings, we have changed a lot too, physically and mentally. Our body adapted itself to survive the dangers outside. Our mind, too, developed itself to what it is today. From a mind meant just for hunting and surviving, it evolved to conquer the planet.

The universe, earth, animals and human beings all change constantly. Changes in life can help us become a better version of ourselves if we go with the flow. Life is a teacher everyone has, teaching us new lessons every day. A new experience brings a new lesson. Some are despised by us due to multiple reasons; let's say the situation was embarrassing. In such cases, when we eventually feel better, we should try to extract the lesson to avoid this embarrassment in the future. We must try to acknowledge the lesson life is trying to teach us and move on and ahead. Nothing ever stays the same and for the good. If there is no change whatsoever, it equals death. Imagine if the universe never experimented, we wouldn't be here, nothing would be here. And according to the second law of thermodynamics -yes I'm using physics to prove a point about philosophy- today if the universe were to go still, everything would die.

I have changed a lot and for the good. I recently started watching a k-drama; it's called Hotel Del Luna. The show is a true masterpiece, it's very emotional, it is surprising I did not cry much. 2018 Riya would've cried an ocean, I merely cried a bucket; I don't know whether to call it character development or Alexithymia. It's funny, I don't even know if I actually have it. The lockdown taught me a valuable lesson, how valuable; I wouldn't do it justice if I tried to put it into words.

Last year after the lockdown, I finally got the chance to go out. The city of Bhopal looked clean and bright like it always does. Green trees, blue sky, cotton candy clouds, the scene was perfect. Perfect like an aesthetic picture. Fake, like an aesthetic picture. Amidst the silent chaos, the city stood strong and pretty.

Last day before another lockdown, all around me were people rushing to stock up, their faces hidden under masks, one physical, perhaps the other metaphorical. The day looked perfect with not a single flaw but then came a sight that struck through my heart like an arrow and wounded me to the core.

Under an under-construction over bridge, I saw two laborers, an old man and an old woman, working hard, harder than you and me, to earn some bread, the significance of which we often ignore. Their faces had a different kind of sadness, a different kind of worry, one which I had never experienced. The moment was horrifyingly still and felt like it was the last day on earth, like there's a storm and a calm, two contradicting things, happening at the same time.

I felt helpless, sitting in the comfort of my car, the AC saving me from the humid weather outside. I felt helpless watching them but could do nothing to help. This was the harsh reality. The truth behind the perfect appearance of the beautiful city.
I sat there, in my little happy bubble.
Blank. A million questions in my head but no answers.

What did they do to deserve this? What did I do to deserve this?
Do they deserve this?
Do I deserve this?
I don't know.

The sight left me feeling grateful for all I have. Grateful for my family and friends, grateful for the food I eat and the clothes I wear. Grateful for the good times, grateful for the bad times. I have everything I need, what more can I ask for? I can ask for more but would that be correct if I don't appreciate all I have? I don't think so.

It's that incident what taught me to be grateful and it has helped me improve the quality of my life significantly. Here I request you to take just five minutes out of your day to reflect on your blessings and be grateful.
______________________________________