Redefine productivity

I feel it's time we redefine productivity. While having a conversation with a friend, I got to know she equated her worth as a human being with how "productive" she is. When I asked her what being productive means to her, she said studying. I then asked her whether she actually likes to study to which she replied no and that if given a choice, she'd choose to do something else.

"Yes I would. There's things way more enjoyable than studies." she said.

I asked the same set of questions to a few other friends. I got mixed answers; some said they do relate to my friend while others said they don't. It was great to see that there are people unlike me who actually have a realistic view on it. It made me think maybe I'm writing this article to convince myself my worth isn't equal to the amount of work I do. Maybe this is a note to self.

I thought about productivity, what it means and what it maybe should. I realised that most people I have seen in our society have a very capitalistic definition of what's productive and what's not. In a nutshell, if you do something that doesn't necessarily contribute to the economy directly or indirectly, you aren't being productive. For example, if you do your homework and study all day, you are being productive. On the other hand, if you instead engage in a hobby, you are not. Why is that? Where's the fun? Now, this may not be the complete notion but like all other things, it is hard to sum a complex topic up in one short and simple statement. 

I went on the internet to figure out why I still have a cold even after a week. Turns out you need rest when you're sick which I didn't give myself. Why? Because resting almost feels illegal. Why rest when you could, and apparently should, be completing your notebooks and homework. After all, that's all that matters right? It is as though I'm committing a crime by resting when I could be doing something traditionally considered productive by society.  

"Doing or achieving a lot : working hard and
getting good results. : producing or able to produce something especially in large amounts. : causing or resulting in something."

This is the definition of productivity I got from the internet. It seems holistic but most people do not seem to realise some of the aspects mentioned. What I mean to say is if I spend all day painting, I achieved a result and resulted in the creation of something, which by definition is being productive, but will it feel that way? Probably not because I, and everyone else, have been conditioned to think that way. Now of course I'm not saying keep all your obligations aside but just that don't prioritise them over your own well being.

Most people I've seen feel guilty when they do something they feel like doing, doing what makes them happy. I'll take my own example, I love to draw and it gives me happiness but I feel guilty if I decide to do so when I'm actually supposed to do something productive like studying for exams.

I do not remember a single moment where I looked back at my life and reminisced completing my homework; I am only ever nostalgic about going out having fun with my friends, or writing, or just sitting and living the present moment. I'm sure this must be the case with most other people as well. If that's the case, then why is being productive only equated with things you have to do?

I feel it shouldn't be that way. I feel people  shouldn't be conditioned to feel guilty to do something they love, to do something that gives them happiness. Because after all isn't that what life really is about? About enjoying the journey? About making memories? About having fun?

Most people do not seem to realise that some of the reasons to take a break are natural and therefore perfectly valid. For example, "I don't feel like working" is a valid reason to take a break but capitalism doesn't treat it as one.

"Logic and emotions are two sides of the same coin. If one exists without the other, results can be dangerous." -Riya

If you try to thrust logic into emotions, it'll be fatal. And that is exactly what capitalism does. If you do not feel like working some day, that is often your body's way of telling you, you need rest, but would you give it to yourself? Specially without feeling guilty? Most people I know wouldn't because capitalism has conditioned us to treat ourselves as machines and use the same logic on ourselves which is leading to everyone crashing and burning out severely. In this case, people most likely would not be truthful about taking a break either because it simply wouldn't be accepted as a valid reason. Think about it, how many times have you taken a leave for "medical reasons"?

I feel it's time we redefine our societal definition of productivity and do things we actually enjoy and not just because we're supposed to.

"You are valuable because you exist. Not because of what you do, or what you have done, but simply because you are."
- Max Lucado