After School

I got another part time job which means all my bills are being paid, money is still tight but I can afford to pay my rent, electricity, heating etc and I can put food on the table. Thank you so much to everyone that left a comment or sent me good wishes.

Anxiety filled Matthew throughout the final lesson of the day, every time he tried to pay attention to what was going on around him in an attempt to ignore the burning of emotions within, his mind brought him back to the same thought that had been plaguing him for the better part of an hour, he was going to see Kaiden today, soon, and he did not seem happy.

Although Matthew knew he had done nothing wrong, his phone had died without him knowing, Kaiden wasn't exactly a logical man, well Matthew thought that anyway, he didn't know anything about him. Looking at the clock once again, Matthew felt a pit of nausea take hold of his stomach, growing as he realised he had 10/15 minutes until the school day was done. With every movement of the clock, the pit in his stomach grew and grew. He knew he couldn't see Kaiden today, he couldn't manage it but how the hell was he supposed to get out of it? It wasn't like the other boy was going to take no for an answer. He would be outside after school, Matthew couldn't change that.

But.

Maybe.

Maybe he could somehow avoid him, Kaiden wouldn't park just outside the school, he would park on the next road over or the road after that. If Matthew wanted to, he could simply walk home, say he forgot or that he wasn't feeling well or that he didn't want to stay out without telling his mum which he couldn't do considering his phone is dead. The more he thought about it, the more excuses came to him. He could just walk home. Kaiden wasn't going to stop him in front of so many people. Maybe he'd walk home with Charlie, which means he wouldn't be alone for the majority of his journey back. But what if he was putting his friend in danger? That thought seemed to be a common point of contention over the past couple of days, he wanted to just get rid of Kaiden but there didn't seem to be a safe way out, at least not for the people he cares about.

Hundreds of plans formed in Matthew's head but the bell rang, a piercing noise that Matthew still hated after all his years at school, and he didn't have long enough to develop any of his thoughts. He did know one thing, he wasn't going to see Kaiden today, he was going to go straight home. He'd be home before Kaiden realised he'd been ditched; surely he wouldn't enter his home whilst his parents were home. They'd call the police and they wouldn't be intimidated by someone half their age. It was a good idea.

Well.

It was definitely an idea.

His thoughts consumed him as his legs took him out of school, his mind too anxious to play any part in his walk home. He'd been walking this journey for years, he could do it with his eyes closed. He willed himself to not look around, his plan was to pretend he forgot or that he was ill. Someone who forgot wouldn't be looking around in fear. He stared ahead.

The walk home felt tortuous, as if roads and paths had suddenly appeared and doubled the length of his journey home. His heart yearned to see his front door, to feel some semblance of safety after venturing into the unknown. He knew he had pissed Kaiden off, he just didn't know what was going to happen next.

Matthew finally got home. He quickly unlocked his door, slammed it behind him, said a quick hello to his parents and ran up to his room. He quickly closed his blinds and threw himself onto his bed. His heart pounded as his head rested on his duvet. His throat felt tight as he tried to control his breathing.

He had just stood Kaiden up.

He didn't move from his bed for a long time, his coat and shoes still on, he didn't know what the time was. He would have to go downstairs again eventually for dinner or just to speak to his parents, they'd bother him about it if he didn't. The thought then occurred to him; Kaiden would call him. He was sure of it. He's surprised he hasn't received any texts yet.

Oh.

His phone was still dead.

Nausea  overcame him and for a split second he thought he might pass out. His phone was still dead. He'd ignored Kaiden once again.
Matthew shakily pushed himself up from his bed and plugged his phone in, the small red icon coming up to indicate it was charging. It would be a couple of minutes before it turned back on. In that time he could gather himself. He pushed his shoes and coat off, he unpacked his bag and went to the bathroom to splash water on his face. Maybe it would shake him from the nauseating, anxiety ridden situation he had gotten himself into.

It didn't, but it did help.

Matthew went to open the curtains but stopped his hand as it gripped the fabric. He could be outside, Matthew wouldn't be surprised if he was. He could be being watched, didn't Kaiden say something about cameras or was that his paranoid mind making up scenarios. Either way, he'd wait until his phone came back on to decide on what to do.

He walked back to his bed and slowly sat down, crossing his legs beneath him. His phone had lit up. Fuck. It was already on. And it was full of notifications.

11 missed calls
23 texts

Where are you?

I swear I will come in there myself and drag you out.

Matthew I swear if you're walking home with that prick Charlie something is going to happen to him.

Have you left me for him?

Matthew scrolled through the messages, each of them making him never want to leave his bedroom again.

All of the messages have just been delivered, I know your phone is on.

Matthew?

Fuck it. Im coming to get you.