Talking part 2

Reading the message again, Matthew decided to reply.
What do you mean by that? He typed before deciding it was too much of a cliché and deleting the message.
He tried again;
What will I find soon? He typed before deciding it just made him sound dumb.
If I message you everyday then what? What will you do? Will you just message me back and leave everything else as it is?
Not being able to word it any better, Matthew sent the text and surprisingly the stranger replied straight away.
Everything will get better the text read. The cryptic message made no sense to Matthew, his life was great. Nothing extraordinary had ever happened to him, he was just normal. Well besides the creep texting him that is. Matthew failed to realise that he had received another message.
So. How was your day? A scoff forced its way out of Matthew's throat at the complete stupidness of the text. Stupid wasn't the right word but how had this person just gone from cryptic messages and borderline threatening his family to a text that his friends might send him? Despite that, Matthew wasn't stupid. He knew that so far (more or less) whoever was sending the texts hadn't done anything bad to him. Really all they've done is sort of threatened the people he cares about and given him money. He knew he had to keep himself in this person's good books.
Good. Nothing interesting has happened so far, I'm in class right now. That's a valid reply, he thought to himself, before pressing send. He was staring at his phone intently for a few minutes, completely losing focus in what was happening in the class. He failed to realise that one of the assistant heads of his school had walked into his class. He realised soon enough. When the teacher was standing right next to him.
She coughed to get his attention and when Matthew finally looked up he was met with the assistant head standing on front of him with her hand raised out.
"You are fully aware of the rules regarding mobile phones Mr. Ambrose. Hand it over and you'll get it back at the end of the week." Matthew felt a surge of irritation spike through his core at the rule and the tone of the teacher before he realised something. If he turns his phone off and gives it over then he's out of whatever situation he's somehow found himself in. No-one will read the texts so no-one will get hurt and if he physically cannot reply or text the stranger well that's not his fault is it? He handed his phone over.
The bell rang ten minutes later indicating that break had begun and Matthew packed his things up and left to meet his friends, a weight seemingly lifted of his shoulders. This new clarity did not last long as he approached his friend's meeting point, whereas there was usually only a couple of students passing by there was instead a large crowd gathered.
Noticing two of his friends nearby, Matthew approached them and asked what was happening.
"Don't really know. Len said something about the school's programme being hacked and loads of weird stuff happening to it. Something like that anyway, the head teacher wants to talk to a few people. Told them to wait here."
"Are you one of them?"
"No but Len is, thought I'd come with him and see what was happening. Wasn't expecting so many people to have the same idea as me."
Matthew hummed in acknowledgement at the response at the same time as Lenny (Len) came round the corner towards them, his scowl prominent as he pushed through the crowd.
"That was pointless." He spoke as he approached them his brown eyes rolling "Someone slightly messed up the information the school had and apparently it's the end of the world. They completely grilled me about it. How could I do that? And even if I could hack into the school system why would I just change a few classes and student information instead of, I don't know, ordering hundreds of pizza on the school account or something." He crossed his arms over his chest as he finished shaking his head in annoyance.
"Wait, that's it? All this because of some changed information?" Matthew asked, his eyebrows creasing in confusion. Why would the school care so much about that? Lenny just shrugged his shoulders and turned to speak to some other people who approached him. Matthew turned and went over to his usual group of friends. He had an underlying suspicion that this had something to do with the person messaging him. They did tell him that they were busy and he'd find out what they were doing but this seemed so unimportant. Why warn him about something so... well something that didn't matter.
"Do you reckon I could not do the homework?" Sebastian asked the group
"For what teacher?"
"Mr. Grayson." The group groaned in discontent and amusement
"Not a chance in hell." Brooklyn replied "He checks it as often as my mum checks my room for cigarettes."
"Or as often as your mum checks my room for me." Sebastian quipped raising his hands out in a cocky move making his friends laugh
"You wish Seb. You wish."
The rest of break was spent laughing with his friends, the thought of the mysterious stalker moving to the back of his mind.

The day quickly came to an end and Matthew met up with Charlie, as he usually did, and they walked home together.
"Five weeks left and then we will be able to go home and stay at home for two weeks straight!" Charlie exclaimed barging Matthew with his shoulder as they walked "Do you know what that means Matt? No stupid physics for two weeks!" Matthew laughed as he got barged again "You do realise you chose that subject right?"
Charlie, who was walking slightly behind Matthew, suddenly stopped causing Matthew to do the same.
"I chose it because it looks good for Uni and for some reason I actually did alright in the exams,. not because I like it. No-one likes Physics." In that moment Charlie oddly reminded Matthew of his mother in the way he was explaining this.
"Charlie you're smart. That's how you 'actually did alright in the exams'."
"I'm not denying that mate. I'm amazing."
"Could your ego get any bigger?"
"No. You wanna know something else that couldn't get any bigger?"
"Yeah I guess that something that doesn't exist couldn't get any bigger."
"MATTHEW!" Charlie shouted in mock rage stumbling back and putting his hands over his heart. "I thought we were friends!" He exclaimed again, wiping a fake tear from the corner of his eye. They were just walking up to the end of Charlie's road as they continued to chat. Matthew walked Charlie to the end of his road and watched him get near his house before over exaggerating his goodbye and making his way to his own house laughing to himself. His good mood was quickly replaced by a stone cold fear as he opened the gate to his house and saw a small box resting against his front door. He stood frozen at the gate, his hand clutching at the rusting metal. It's a bomb, he thought to himself, it is definitely a bomb. His heart pounded painfully in his chest as he felt his mouth go dry and his throat close up at the thought. He tried to rationalise with himself. Why the hell would there be a bomb so casually outside his front door? He hadn't done anything wrong yet. He told the person how his day was, maybe his plan wasn't as great as he initially thought.
Matthew suddenly became very self conscious of other people being able to see him. To others it must just have looked like he had an irrational fear of doors. He looked around and felt slightly better to see that he was the only person on his street besides one person who seemed to just be on the phone on the other side of the road. Matthew thought nothing of it, there was nothing wrong with someone just walking down his street. He turned his attention again to the box and dropped his bag next to him and picked up the small package, it was fairly light. So. Not a bomb. Matthew thought to himself. Then again, what did he know about bombs? He slowly peeled the tape of the side and took the lid of. He looked around again and decided to move inside, he put the box in his bag, picked up his bag and moved inside and went straight upstairs to his room, both of his parents were at work. He sat on his bed and slowly removed the tissue from the box, there was a black velvet bag inside.
He pulled the bag open to see a brand new IPhone X with a small post-it note on the front with a list of five phone numbers and a small message scrawled at the bottom.
I know what you tried today darling, I'm not happy with you but I will let you off as I know you are a bad liar and could've gotten yourself into trouble. Anyway, this is your new phone. Add the numbers to your contacts.
He pressed the home button on the phone and it turned on, already set up. He got into the phone as it had no password and added the numbers so he could throw away the note as soon as possible. As he added the last number a text message came through from the first number on the list.
Hiya darling, the text message read, I'm glad you're starting to listen and learn quicker. Things are starting to happen and I'm glad I'll be able to talk you through it. I just have a quick question; what's your favourite colour?
Uh blue? Matthew replied cringing at the uncertainty that was obvious in his message. He thought he should be presenting himself as more confident or intimidating or just less scared in general. That thought quickly dissolved into thin air and flew at full speed out the window when another message came through.
Anyway, about your friend Charlie, I don't like him. You know I counted and he touched you seventeen times today and I don't like people touching things that belong to me. He won't talk to you starting from next week and I expect you to do the same. Don't go against me darling, whereas I'd never physically harm you, I have no feelings regarding the people you choose to hang around with.