5// night owls

"remember when you used to sneak into my bed when we were little?"

"yes. when we first got separate rooms i was so lonely that i couldn't fall asleep and i wanted you to keep me company," minho admitted and scratched his head at the sweet memory, "are you getting back at me for that now?"

"maybe," jisung mischievously smiled, "maybe we should catch up."

the older nodded vigorously, "i missed you so much."

"me too," jisung confessed, "you were my best friend. i never found another one like you," he sadly recalled.

"i'm so sorry. i didn't think we'd get separated for so long," minho mumbled uncomfortably, "i always asked dad about you but he would say your school didn't allow cell phones."

"that's right," the shorter played with his earring, "but he would call me every few weeks. i was hoping one day you'd call me together.."

minho looked surprised to hear that, "do you have a phone now?," he asked and received a frantic confirmation nod, "can i have your number?"

jisung giggled and made grabby hands. in a second, his number was already in and he returned the phone, "there you go. maybe we can keep talking after we go back, huh?"

"i really hope we will," the older grinned, "i want to get to know you again. i remember so many things that you wanted to do and.. liked and everything."

jisung chuckled with an eye smile, "i think i changed quite a bit after going to malaysia.."

minho nodded sadly. he had always hoped that jisung wouldn't change. he had wanted to change the world so that jisung would be happy living in it but all he could do now, as he realised he had failed, was bite his lip with regret.

"where do you live now?"

"incheon," the shorter replied, "i moved there after high school. father told me he couldn't pay for me to go to university so i had to come back and look for a job," he explained and smacked his lips together, "i get it. he spent a lot of money on the boarding school and all."

minho felt guilty. he had never been denied the right to going to uni. mr kang paid for everything gladly, including his rent and food. he thought jisung would get the same treatment. especially since he didn't want to go to malaysia in the first place.

"i'm saving up though," jisung smiled and ran a hand through his thick black hair, "i want to study too and once i can afford it i'll do it.," he called out with determination, then recalled something and questioned, "but father told me you're studying. how is it going?"

minho bit his lip, "it's interesting. i'm living in gimpo. we're pretty close," he exclaimed with a smile.

"yeah," the younger also grinned, "i wanted to ask you if i can move into his apartment actually. would you mind that?"

"no, of course i don't mind," minho encouraged, "use it. it's stupid to pay rent when you have property in the same city."

jisung nodded. he didn't even know how he would be feeling in such a large apartment all on his own.

"i can't believe he's gone," jisung muttered suddenly. he didn't seem heart-broken but he was genuinely emotional.

"me neither," the older admitted, "there are so many things i'm sorry for.."

"really? about father?," jisung asked innocently.

"yes. like things that i needed to tell him but didn't," minho exhaled sharply and bit his cheek, "don't you have any?," he questioned when he was met with a surprised look.

"um, not that i can think of on the spot..," the shorter pensively replied. he wasn't very close to their father, maybe because he had been living far away for the bigger part of his adult life, but there was nothing that he was struggling to tell him but really wanted to.

"lucky you," minho mumbled, "i really had to talk to him sooner but i had no idea he had so little time," he gulped and took a breath in, "i wish i had talked to him about dating.."

jisung started thinking of many possible things, including his beloved hyung being married and hiding this from the family, "well, i.. never talked about those things with him.. i don't think he needs to know all," he encouraged but still hoped that the older would continue.

finally, minho started again.

"we never discussed my relationships too but i still feel sorry that i didn't tell him that i like girls and boys alike," he nervously played with his shirt, "i always thought i could do it anytime but i didn't."

"you shouldn't beat yourself up over it," jisung's took the other's hand in his reassuringly, "honestly that hasn't even occurred to me," he smiled condescendingly, "i never mentioned those things to father so i never even thought of telling him that i'm seeing boys."

minho smirked at his own childishness and squeezed the hand back, "that helps a little."

they stayed like that for some time, both tired but sleepless.

suddenly, a creaking from outside interrupted their little hangout. what granny was doing outside minho's door was unclear but they could bet that she knew they were both in the bigger room. their hearts sped up and their eyes met in the semidarkness, frightful.

"it's okay. she can't come in now," minho mouthed and glided his thumb over the other's cheek to calm him down, "let's go to bed now, okay? we can cuddle like when we were little."

jisung nodded. he had been waiting for this for almost ten years and sneaked into the bed immediately, holding the cover open for minho to hop in too.

once they were both under the covers, minho wrapped his arm around jisung's body, whispering a quiet 'are you okay like this' to which he heard a comforting 'yes'. there was still some noise outside but they glued their bodies to one another and held their free hands and fell asleep instantly.