Encounter

Looking at your parents taking pictures of your sister and her husband, you groaned.

'Why did your sister have to get married immediately? Now your parents will expect you to do the same. It's not your fault same-sex marriage is restricted in Korea. What are you going to do? Marry a man? Yeah right. A lesbian marrying a man, what could go wrong?'

You scoffed, walking straight to the exit, not looking forward to hearing your parents making side comments about your love life or the lack thereof.

You felt something small hit your back, making you turn around. A boy, probably around 10 years of age. His eyes look puffy and, he has a scratch on his right cheek. He was crying.

"Sorry about that, are you alright?" you kneeled in front of him and asked, making him flinched.

"I'm not going to hurt you, here." you added softly, handing him a bottle of water that you were planning to throw anyway. He looked at you hesitating, and drunk all of its contents, and handed it back to you.

"I'm (L/N) (Y/N) and, you are?" you said while giving your hand for him to shake.

"Kang Cheol." he mumbled, looking at your hands curiously.

"Were you running away from someone, Cheol? Is it okay to call you that?" you asked, awkwardly taking your hand away, to which he replied with a nod.

"So... where did you get that?" you asked him, pointing at the scratch on his face. He didn't say anything but, his quick look at the courtyard across the road was enough.

"We should get something for that. Can you wait for me in here while I buy some cream at that store?" you asked while pointing at the convenience store.

"Oh, okay." you said, surprised when Cheol responded by holding your pinky. You both walk inside the store, buying the cream and snacks, some he shyly pointed at.

'Where are his parents? Is he an orphan?' you thought while paying the cashier. You both sat up near a bench and, while you were putting some cream, you decided to ask him.

"Hey, Cheol." you started to which he looked up to you.

"If you don't mind me asking, where are your parents?" he looked down, making you feel bad for asking. You were going to change the subject when he mumbled something.

"Sorry?" you asked, making him repeat what he said.

"My dad is not with us anymore and, I don't know where our mom is," he said, his accent giving him away.

'He's a defector? Poor kid, that must have been rough.' you thought about asking him how he got out when you noticed something.

"Our?" you inquired.

"I have a sister. She was with me when we came here. She's not always around but, I know she's working hard so that mom can join us. She was going to visit me today."

"Well, why don't I keep you company while we wait for her then? We could play some games if you want." you said, trying to cheer him up.

"I'm not familiar with any games." he replied, looking embarrassed.

"That's okay. I'll teach you." you said smiling.

You guys ended up playing games such as the palm push game, tag, and cham cham cham, although there was no punishment. You made him win almost every game, to be subtle. The kid was having fun. Who are you to deny him that?

You were playing cham cham cham when you caught someone looking at you in the corner of your eye. You looked at her, so did Cheol.

"Noona!" he shouted, waving to the woman. She walks to where you two were sitting.

Freckles? Check.
Dark hair? Check.
Chin-length haircut? Check.
Your already critically endangered heterosexuality? Extinct.

"I have a new friend!" Cheol exclaimed to her, pointing at you. You just stood there having an internal gay panic. Realizing the looks you were being given, you apologized and introduced yourself. She looked at you skeptically but nodded nonetheless.

"We were playing a game! Here let me show you." He told her, making her sit beside you. He's telling her how to play the palm push game, making you laugh when she's making weird gestures with her hands and losing to her brother.

"I am the defending champion!" Cheol celebrated, then pointing to the both of you, he added, grinning.

"Now, you guys do it! Let's find out who will be my apprentice!" You looked at one another and, you both unspokenly agreed to play to make Cheol happy.

"Well, Cheol's sister. It's not too late to back down now." you taunt, smirking when she only glared at you.

Not hearing Cheol's signal to start, you were startled when she suddenly pushed your palms. It seems she used too much force causing your back against the bench, her face centimeters away from yours.

"Sae-Byeok." she uttered, deep brown eyes staring at yours.

"What?" you asked, still flustered with your close proximity.

"My name. It's Kang Sae-Byeok."

"Uh... are you planning on getting off?" you asked Sae-Byeok, who is still on top of you.

"No, I rather like the view." she replied, smirking.

"My sister won!" Cheol's cheers made you remember his presence.

"Sae-Byeok!" you whispered, and she sat up. You were going to ask for a rematch when you saw that she was looking dazed.

"What?" you asked, curious.

"You called me by my name." she said, smiling at you. Your phone suddenly rang, you noticed that your parents were already looking for you.

"I have to go, sorry. I'll come back tomorrow for my rematch." You said while patting Cheol's head and sticking up your tongue to Sae-Byeok making her laugh.

You were going to walk away when Cheol suddenly pulled you pinky and gestured that he was going to whisper something.

"Unnie, did you know? My sister plays 40% competitive and 60% gay." he whispered, grinning at your shocked face.

You looked at Sae-Byeok who notices you looking and gives you a wink.

'I'm already looking forward to tomorrow.'