Squid Game

Here you are, on the side of the road waiting. Because you saw a man being slapped by the recruiter.

It seems the old man is assembling hundreds of people to participate in the games, again.

You waited until the man finally won and was given the card. You walked straight in his direction, colliding with him on purpose to take the card and giving him your apologies.

You were doing him a favor, really.

Calling the number, you gave them your information and waited in the meeting place.

How the old man will react to you playing his favorite games?

A van stopped in front of you and, the driver opened up the window, asking you for the password. After telling him the password, he opened the door and, you went in, sitting beside a short-haired girl.

Really? Even teenagers are allowed to participate, now? You are one too, so you can't really complain.

You were woken up by some strange melody.

What? Where were you? Oh right, the games.

You looked down and noticed your different clothing. It was a sweatshirt with the number 042 written on it.

The answer to everything. Brilliant.

You noticed that there was a commotion and made your way to the source. You saw the beautiful girl was getting beat up.

Maybe you can play hero? Nah, that's just idiotic. Although, it would be satisfying to wipe the smug look off the asshole.

You were suddenly pushed by someone in the crowd, making you stumble and bump into the said asshole.

Ah shit.

"You-"

"Bitch, I know. Let's skip to the part where I punch you in the face." you said before thinking.

Holy hell, the wonders adrenaline can do.

It would be predictable if you did punch Mr. Asshole, so you did what next came into mind. You kicked him where the sun doesn't shine.

"You fucker, you said-" he exclaimed and groaned while holding his crotch.

"Ooh, no spoilers." you said, sticking your tongue at him.

Mr. Asshole quickly recovered and started dashing towards you. Luckily, you had time to run away, so you circled around the girl with the jersey number 067, who you noticed, had her lips quirked upwards for a split second.

There you two were running in circles when he was pushed by another man, Mr. 456.

Thank fuck for that. You really should have remembered that you're not suited for running.

You thought that he was going to help you but, you stand corrected. Mr. 456 went straight to 067, searching for a mark or something.

Mr. Asshole stood up again and went for Mr. 456 this time. You sighed in relief and walked towards 067.

Giving her your hand to pull her up. She only looked up, her eyebrows rose, and she stood up on her own.

Now that was cold. Can't blame her though, you would do the same if you were in a room full of strangers and enemies.

The two men were still fighting, if you could call it that, when the masked men walked into the room.

"I'd like to extend a heartfelt welcome to you all." the leader said.

Oh yeah, you forgot about that.

They explained that you only have to play games to pay your debts, well, the other participant's debts. You're just here to mess with a certain someone. The short-haired girl was a nice bonus, though.

Some people complained about the need for confidentiality but, they stopped when the masked man showed them a video. A video where they were getting slapped when playing ddakji.

Man, if you didn't know any better, you'd think slapping is the recruiter's kink.

You weren't given any information about the first game, so it would be fair for everyone, they said. You lined up to sign the contract for playing.

When the speaker announced that the game was starting, you waved at the hidden security camera at the corner. 067 looked at you strangely.

You found yourself walking beside that one man earlier.

"I'm Seong Gi-hun. I live in Ssangnum-dong." Mr. 456 said, introducing himself to you. You only nodded in reply.

"And you are?" he asked when the doors opened, showing a spacious ground and a big doll in at the end. So it was that kind of game.

"Playing for my life, apparently." you muttered, walking ahead, leaving a confused Mr. 456 and a 067 who's still looking at you.

"The game will be Red Light, Green Light." The speaker announced.

"You are allowed to move when it shouts 'Green Light' and, you are to stop when it shouts 'Red Light' and, any players that are caught moving will be eliminated. " They explained.

You went to the side. Being in the middle of a crowd when chaos ensues would definitely lead to your death.

The game started, yet not even a minute later, the doll turned around. Number 324 was caught moving, a gunshot was heard and, it announced, "Player 324, eliminated."

Mr. 250 kicked him, thinking that he was messing around when 324 suddenly coughed out blood.

Noticing that the doll caught his movement, 250 started running away, only to be shot in the head. A scream and the havoc started.

Well, they sure are dying to get out.

Trying not to snicker in your own pun, you waited until the gunshot stopped and, it repeated the rules. Looking around to see if you knew the people who are still alive. You saw Mr. Asshole shaking but, Mr. 256 and 067 were missing.

That's a shame, really. If you told them, would they still be alive? Well, no point in being disappointed now. You can't really afford to care for people, especially here.

You saw the old man walking all the way to the front.

So he joined, that's new. Does he know that you joined though?

You felt movement beside you, making you turn around and see 067 staring at you. You sighed in relief. Guess you did care about Ms. cold shoulder a little bit.

Yeah, if you didn't die here by gunshot, you'll definitely die with how intensely she's at you. Why does she have to look hot while doing so?! God damn it. Not the time to have a gay panic!

"If you want an autograph, I can give it to you later." you told her, winking at her when the doll turned away. Her eyes went wide but, they went back to glaring at you in a second.

You ran straight through the finish line and looked back to see 067 do the same.

That woman's going to be that death of you.

Looking at the other people who finished already, you spotted the old man.

"Miss me, gramps?" you whispered at him while patting his shoulder. He only stared at you with his mouth opened and, you smiled cheekily at him.

Looking behind him, you saw Mr. 456 with number 199, jumping before the last second.

Huh, so he was alive. Good for him, I guess.

"Who are you, really?" 067 asked, looking at you warily.

"Wouldn't you like to know." you smirked at her, joining the others walking back to the warehouse.

The participants for this year, sure are interesting.