16 | The Game's Afoot

╔══════════════════╗

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
xvi. THE GAME'S AFOOT

╚══════════════════╝

   RILEY SOON PARTED WAYS with Sam and Bucky, leaving them to deal with the issue of the Flag Smashers and whoever was manufacturing the Super Soldier serum

   RILEY SOON PARTED WAYS with Sam and Bucky, leaving them to deal with the issue of the Flag Smashers and whoever was manufacturing the Super Soldier serum. Although both of those things itched the part of her brain that ruled over her anxiety, she was comfortable with letting them deal with that little issue (and John Walker, but she was mostly counting on her boys to handle it).

   Before leaving, she made them swear to call her if anything major happened, and she had a feeling they would abide by her wishes. Riley prided herself on the relationship she had with her team. It might be the one thing she was... satisfied with.

   God, she needed to get Sam out of her head. "Are you satisfied?" rang through her mind at least 12 times when she was cleaning herself up. Of course, she was satisfied! She had no reason to not be. And she had no time to waste thinking otherwise. She already had enough on her plate that she needed to oversee in the first place, including her date with Peter.

   The late afternoons were the busiest time of the day, no matter where you were. But there was something about the bustle of the city that put Riley at ease. She was used to this: chaos, noise, suffocation. It blended in her ears, endless white noise. It was the one thing that was powerful enough to tune out her loud, loud thoughts.

   Wandering New York while invisible was even better. She could observe life in its natural state, overhear conversations and take in the world in a way she wouldn't normally be able to with countless people watching her. Cracks in the pavement and conversations about dinner — they all fascinated her. It was nice seeing the world she fought so hard to protect exist in its natural state. It reminded her of everything she worked for: life.

   Riley liked being able to disappear, in every aspect. For now, she was nothing more than the whistling wind, warm sunlight, a shadow among buildings, a ghost. She wasn't a hero or a soldier or a symbol or the "Child of the Sun" or even a famous philanthropist. She blended and blended and pretended she didn't exist for a little white.

   She noticed people tended to censor themselves whenever they realized she was in the room. She still wasn't used to it. Growing up, people always told it like it was, unfiltered. But now, people cared about her and her opinion of them. Like she was some untouchable god. They often forgot she was much like them.

   She was peacefully walking when she noticed people abruptly stopping in the streets. Curious civilians crowded the pavements, each one pointing up in awe. Riley followed their gaze. Thin strings of web glowed with light as they latched between skyscrapers. The sunlight made them appear silvery and otherworldly in a magical, fairytale kind of way. The webs were pulled together into the shape of a heart.