04 | Patience is a Virtue

╔══════════════════╗

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
iv. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

╚══════════════════╝

   THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOUT the Westview Anomaly that had a way of pulling you in

   Riley felt it when she first stepped out of the van. She felt it throughout the grueling hours and days she spent studying Westview with S.W.O.R.D. Even as dusk fell, she could feel it. The tug of Westview was strong. It was alluring, enticing. It was a mysterious enigma, and above all that, it was dangerous.

   But Riley just wanted to get closer to it. She wanted to know more, to understand it. Roman, Wanda, and Vision (if it truly was him) were all in there. They were right there, and they needed her help.

   Patience is a virtue.

   She kept reminding herself of this over and over again, though it did little to soothe her restless spirit. Every time she peered up at the dome around Westview, she swore it called her name. It was a little ringing in her ear, a song with one word. Riley, Riley, Riley.

   Maybe if things were calmer, if the circumstances were different, she wouldn't feel so... obsessed with Westview. All she could think about was Roman and Wanda and Vision. Her mind kept racing ahead, and she feared it would soon drag her feet with it — straight into Westview. She knew she shouldn't act impulsively, but she wanted to.

   She needed to be calm, collected. But every time she tried to clear her thoughts, Pietro's face showed up. His screams, his unconscious body. If it wasn't him, then it was Vision and his grayed body, his bashed-in-head, his last breath. If it wasn't him, it was Roman and the last light he gave off before dying back in 2012. And if it wasn't him, it was Wanda turning into dust right in front of her. And if it wasn't her, it was someone else, something else. She had to help them. Soon, she told herself. Patience is a virtue.

   "Pick up, pick up..." Riley stood in a small corridor with her phone pressed against her ear. The line rang once, then twice, then—

   "Riley, hey!" Peter Parker soon greeted. His voice was tired and hushed, clearly attempting to be quiet.

   Riley didn't mean to sigh in relief so loudly. "Thank God. Sorry, I know it's late. Did I wake you up?"

   "Well, kinda," he said, only to hurriedly add, "but it's fine!"

   "You sure? I can always call you later. I just don't know when I'll be free again—"

   "No, no, seriously. I'm glad you called. What's up?"