07 | Bring Me A Dream

╔══════════════════╗

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
vii. BRING ME A DREAM

╚══════════════════╝

   THE SUN BOWED AS night crawled out of the horizon, and three Avengers wandered into the woods in search of spiteful ghosts

   For Riley, fighting in the dark wasn't much of a disadvantage but more of a nuisance. Without the sun's presence to watch her back, any wounds she braved would remain open, and any emissions of light could easily expose her location. Wariness was imperative.

   And yet, as pinks and golds ribboned through the dwindling sky, she felt relieved. At least Solar wouldn't be able to teleport behind them while she was distracted. Though that didn't mean she wasn't out there, tracing Riley's footsteps from a distance. As always, Riley was poised with vigilance.

   She soared over the treetops, carrying Roman on a separate forcefield. Peter swung along the trees and power lines just below them. Since he couldn't get the paint out of his suit, he wore it inside out, leaving it black with gold wiring. Riley preferred the red, but at least he would blend into the night.

   "Keep an eye out on those trees. We don't really know where this guy is," MJ advised through the small screen duct-taped to Peter's chest. She cringed. "I genuinely don't know how you do this without throwing up."

   "Rome knows all about that," Peter said. "Don't ya, Romie?"

   "Swing straight into hell, Spider-Boy," Roman grumbled.

   When they landed, the forest was a blinding chasm. The moon and its pale light were absent, yet the world's shadows prevailed. Riley turned invisible and clung to her senses, listening for the sound of breathing, the chittering of nocturnal animals, or perhaps the buzz or thwip or thump of metaphysical powers in the air.

   The bushes rustled.

   "Did you guys see that?" Peter whispered. "Riley, that you?"

   "No, I'm on your left," she said while MJ concurrently said, "Um... No."

   "It-It's really dark," Ned said. "Can't you get Riley to turn into a human nightlight? Maybe if you crack her back, she'll become a glowstick—"

   "Ned," Roman and Riley warned.

   "Shutting up now."

   "Okay, okay, okay, okay..." Peter murmured as they slowly inched forward. He was already tense, but everyone noticed immediately when he froze in his tracks. His suit's eye lenses widened, and his gauntlet activated in a flash of gold.