14 | Stellar Collision

╔══════════════════╗

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
xiv. STELLAR COLLISION

╚══════════════════╝

   AS THE NIGHT DEEPENED, the sleepless New Yorkers tuned into the Daily Bugle podcast

   "Ladies and gentlemen, the Bugle tip line has just received a call from none other than the fugitive known as Spider-Man, fresh from his rampage in Queens," J. Jonah Jameson reported. "So, Peter Parker, what pernicious propaganda are you peddling?"

   "Just the truth." Those listening could see Peter's beaten face as they video-chatted, whether on their phones, computers, or the screens illuminating Times Square.

   "Oh, sure," Jameson sarcastically said.

   "The truth is... that this is all my fault. I accidentally brought those dangerous people here."

   "Well, he admits it!"

   "And if those people are watching... just know that I really did try to help you. I mean, I could've killed you," Peter lifted the Macchina di Kadavus into view, "at any given moment, but I didn't. Because my Aunt May taught me that everyone deserves a second chance. And that's why I'm here."

   "And where is "here" exactly?"

   Peter turned his phone. "A place that represents second chances."

   Jameson gasped. "The Statue of Liberty? Good God, folks! He's about to destroy another national landmark! Where is Valor to stop him!?"

   Peter fought the urge to say, Right here with me, asshole, helping me finish the job.

   "World, if you're watching—"

   "Believe me, the world is watching."

   "—wish me luck. Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man could use some."

   The call ended, and an air of pride inflated Peter. The Starks had taught him well.

   Mounting the apex of the statue, Peter announced, "Okay, guys! It could be any minute now."

   "Yep, almost done!" Peter 2 slung the cures skyward, securing them to the scaffolding. Nearby, the Peters laid their masks on a piece of rebar, stretching and preparing for the battle.

   Meanwhile, Riley sat on a suspended forcefield, gathering herself. To those squinting in the distance, it looked like the torch Lady Liberty waved was aflame. Riley didn't do this before fights often, usually because most battles were sprung onto her in the spur of the moment, but tonight, she needed to be prepared for anything.