07 | The Day The Sun Burned

╔══════════════════╗

MISADVENTURES IN PARADISE
vii. THE DAY THE SUN BURNED

╚══════════════════╝

   PETER WOULD BE LYING if he said he could take hits to his feelings as well as he could take punches

   PETER WOULD BE LYING if he said he could take hits to his feelings as well as he could take punches. The truth was, everything Fury said about him might hurt more than those.

   He kept thinking back to the day Mr. Stark showed up at his apartment, hoping the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man would be willing to work with the Iron Man. At the time, it was all Peter ever wanted. To help people. To save the day when all seemed hopeless. It was something he still wanted, but now he had doubts.

   What if he wasn't ready for this life? What if he would never be ready?

   Everyone seemed to think he was too young, too inexperienced, too fragile, and to his dismay, Peter was starting to agree. But how do you step away from this world when you already have one foot in it?

   Peter sat atop the cathedral tower, the night sky weighing down on him. He tried to see through the thick clouds, hoping to find some ancestral message from the stars that Roman claimed were eternally watching, guiding. It would be nice if they could give him a sign that he was on the right path, but part of Peter also feared that he was. Was this, everything he once dreamed of, what he truly wanted?

   This life gave you Riley, he reminded himself, and that made everything worth it.

   He didn't know who he would be if he never knew the Starks. He wanted to make them proud, especially Tony. With Iron Man in retirement, someone needed to step up to take his place, but Peter didn't know if he could fill his shoes. He wanted to. He wanted to prove to the world that the Starks picked the right kid to bet on.

   Peter looked up as Beck flew to the rooftop to greet him.

   "Fury asked me to come up here and see how you were doing. He just, he felt bad about snapping at you."

   "...Really?" asked Peter incredulously.

   "You guys do have sarcasm on this Earth, right?" Beck asked, drawing a faint laugh from Peter. "How you feeling?"

   There were so many things Peter was feeling. It would've been nice if May was here, or even Tony. They would know exactly what he needed to hear.

   Maybe Beck would, too.

   "Uh... I didn't think I was gonna have to save the world this summer. I know that makes me sound like such a jerk. I just..." Peter sighed. "I've had a lot on my plate, and I had this plan to get with this girl I really like... again... And it kinda feels like this is always gonna come first. Saving the world. And it's great most of the time, but sometimes I wish we could just be kids. We had that for a while, but you never know when you'll have to suit up again. We always have to choose, and we're never allowed to choose ourselves first."