four

I stop in the hallway when I see my mom in her boyfriend’s shirt and her boyfriend sitting at the counter with a mug of coffee. My lips purse and I grab a muffin and a mug of coffee, walking to the stairs immediately. 

“She doesn’t like me,” her boyfriend says, my feet stopping.

“Brandi doesn’t approve of sex,” she says, my eyebrows crunching together.

“That’s a little ridiculous. Don’t all teenagers like sex?” he asks, my feet walking back down.

“Not her. My Brandi’s careful. She’s not like other girls,” my mom says, my fingers tightening around the mug.

“She’s a virgin?” he asks, my hand dropping the mug.

The faces on the two ‘adults’ are priceless, finding poor little Brandi unamused by their comments.

“For the record, I’m strong enough to say no to sex. I’m not ridiculous, and yes, I don’t like you,” I say to her boyfriend.

“You aren’t the same anymore mom. And that makes me sad,” I say, walking back upstairs and burying into my sheets. I grab my notebook and start drawing, closing my eyes after I decide I’m too upset. As I get up, I grab new clothes and walk into my bathroom. After I shower, I get dressed and walk downstairs, ignoring my mom and getting into my truck. I drive away from home and walk into the park after parking, stopping by the creak and sitting down. Burying my face in my knees, I start to cry and my body curls up.

There is nothing I hate seeing more than my own mother having relations with a man that isn’t my father. My father was an amazing man and I feel like she’s betraying him by being with someone else.

“Brandi?” I look up at Porter and he sits behind me, holding me in his arms. He holds me tightly and I cry into his chest, his fingers smoothing over my cheeks to rid the tears.

“What happened?” he asks, my hand grabbing his shirt tightly.

“My mom.” He nods and holds me closer, cradling me in his arms. He tells me that I’m okay and that I don’t need to worry.

“She’s just trying to cope. You’re strong,” he says, kissing my forehead.

I sit in his arms, trying to calm down. The peace and quiet is nice and Porter just talks with me, my eyes still releasing tears. I hear branches break but I keep Porter close, burying my face in his neck.

“Porter?” Oh no. Not now.

“Hi Mr. Styles,” Porter says, my body shielded by Porter.

“Everything alright?” he asks, Porter nodding his head.

I sniffle and Porter shifts me, my body sitting up and wiping my cheeks.

“Brandi, are you okay?” Harry asks, crouching beside the two of us. His green eyes are extremely worried and I nod.

“It’s fine,” I say, his lips pushing together as his eyebrows frown.

Porter helps me stand and Harry grabs my arm to help me stabilize. He mouths ‘we’ll talk’ and I nod, Porter taking hold of my hand.

“Let’s go,” he says, shaking Harry’s hand. We walk away and Harry watches me, my eyes looking away after a few seconds.

“Do you want to come watch movies at my place?” he asks, my head nodding. I drive to his place and we get out of my truck, his arm wrapping around me. We sit on the couch and watch numerous movies, my head leaning on his shoulder.

“Jason is a shithead,” he tells me, my eyebrows frowning.

“He posted this last night. You’re not on Instagram so,” he says, showing me a picture of Jason. He’s at a party and he’s grinding with a girl. I roll my eyes and curl closer to Porter.