six

Annie and I walk into the cafeteria and Jenna immediately stops in front of me, glaring at me. 

“What do you think you’re doing with Mr. Styles?” she asks, my eyebrows frowning.

“What do you mean?” I ask, her fingers waving as she talks.

“You want him and I won’t let you have him. We’re going to be together,” she says, my hands held up in surrender.

“Go ahead. Not stopping you,” I say, her lips pursing. She huffs before walking out of my way, Annie rolling her eyes. We grab chips and make our way over to Porter and Devin, my hand grabbing Porter’s as he hands me a sheet of paper.

“Jason wanted me to give you this,” he says, my head nodding.

I open it and they tell me to read it out loud.

“Brandi, I wanted to ask you in person but you seem to be avoiding me. Can I please have another chance? I had a great time with you and the party was a mistake. Please, Jason,” I say, my fingers flicking the paper into the middle of the table.

“Don’t you dare. I don’t like him and I need you to be safe,” Porter says, sloth hugging me.

“I wasn’t going to anyway,” I say, leaning my head against his.

Harry walks in and spots me, my lips curving into a smile. Once he smiles back I look away and act as though I’ve been listening to Devin.

“So are you going to the party tonight?” Devin asks, my lips releasing a sigh.

“Who’s?”

“Brent’s. He has a great house,” he says, my head nodding.

“Probably. The studio is closed today so I’ll probably go,” I say, Porter unwrapping his arms.

“Oh God, look at her go,” Porter says, Jenna hounding Harry.

“She just doesn’t give up,” Annie says, my fingers setting a chip in my mouth. I have an urge to jump up and shout that Harry’s with me, but we both would get into serious trouble.

Harry seems uninterested in the conversation and I stand up, his eyes falling on me. As I move up to get an iced tea, he excuses himself and Jenna glares at me as Harry walks to me.

“Did you get the book?” he asks, my head nodding.

“I’m excited to read it.”

He smiles and works on making himself a salad, my fingers grabbing a napkin.

“Hey, TN 10?” he asks, my head shaking. TN stands for tonight.

“I’m going to Brent’s party. Later maybe. Yours,” I whisper, his head nodding.

When I turn around, Jason is standing behind us and I smile at him.

“Hi Jason,” I say, his body walking towards me. He leans his head towards mine and presses a kiss to my cheek, his lips moving to my ear.

“I need to speak to you,” he says, my head nodding. Harry’s nearly steaming to my side, Jason looking at him.

“Chill Mr. Styles. You can take a break from talking about books,” Jason says, Harry clenching his jaw.

“Of course,” he says, turning and walking away. I feel horrible.

“What do you need Jason?” I try to ask politely.

“I want to know why you’ve been spending so much time around Mr. Hotshot over there,” he says, my lips curving.

“I don’t have anyone to talk about my books to and he enjoys books as well. So I talk to him about books. Honestly, that’s all,” I say, his head nodding.