Chapter 4 - Secrets

The sun poured in through the wrap-around windows along heralding the morning. Dipper woke up to see Pacifica was already awake, her flowing blonde hair covering her back as she stretched her lithe limb in the fulgent sunlight. Smiling Dipper said, "Good morning my beautiful bride," as he scooped an arm around her drawing her back into the covers not wanting to face the day just yet. Pacifica let him pull her back into his chest as a smile teased the edges of her lips. "Good morning babe," she replied turning her neck to kiss him over her shoulder. Their lips touched for a brief but passionate kiss before they both cuddled back in just relaxing in the morning light streaming in from the wrap-around windows.

Dipper said softly, "what do you think is really going on with Mabel?" His thoughts drifted back to her. He was worried about her. He didn't like it when she kept secrets from him. It seemed like every time she kept secrets from him she got hurt. He always tried his best to watch out for her and he just didn't want to see her get hurt again. Pacifica furrowed her brow in thoughtful contemplation while Dipper held her in his arms her back facing his chest.

"I'm not sure but whatever it is it seems new. She was fine at the wedding." Dipper smiled and replied, "More than fine I had never seen her so happy. I'll talk to her about it at breakfast. Speaking of which I smell bacon!" Pacifica grinned. "That was thoughtful of her to make breakfast," she said. The couple was rather hungry so they got dressed and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

Mabel was at the large griddle frying up bacon and pancakes she heard earbuds in and was shaking her hips and arms in rhythm to the music. Dipper put a soft hand on her shoulder and she yelped as a pancake flew for the ceiling. "Mabel it's just me," Dipper said as she whipped around. A startled look was wiped from her face as her palm covered it. Her fingers now pinched the bridge of her nose as she said, "Sorry, I'm just a little jumpy this morning." She then smiled at him in genuine. Dipper noticed her eyes had bags under them. Dipper looked at Mabel searching her eyes for something unsaid. She quickly figured out what he was doing and quickly turned back to pouring more batter into the pan as she drew a clean spatula from the utensil drawer. Her back was now facing him so he could not read her eyes.

Dipper turned to face Gideon who had finished setting the table and was now brewing the coffee for everyone. He looked at Mabel and then back at Dipper shrugging his shoulders. He was not sure what was going on with Mabel either.

Dipper sighed softly. "Mabel," he said softly with compassion. He put a hand on her shoulder gently. She tensed slightly but only for a moment, enough that he noticed though. Dipper said, "Do you trust me?" Mabel stopped moving the spatula. Dipper continued. "You used to tell me everything," he said with a wistful smile as his thumb brushed her shoulder affectionately. "Whatever it is you don't have to face it alone." Pacifica now glanced up at Mabel with empathy and concern as she went about pouring her and Dipper a cup of coffee.

Mabel's turned around to face him a facade of a paper-thin smile covering her face that was so stark in contrast with the genuine smile she usually sported. "I just tossed and turned for a while last night, couldn't get much rest. Must have been that quad shot venti mocha I had yesterday." Dipper knew she drank coffee all the time oftentimes close to bedtime and had never once mentioned it affecting her before so this seemed irregular. Dipper looked into her eyes with a boldness, "And that's everything?" Her eyes tried to return the stare in equal confidence, but she folded as she hung her head her hair now covering her face like the branches on a willow tree.

"We've always been there for each other. I don't know what you're struggling with but whatever it is you don't have to fear because we'll face it together." Dipper stretched his arms out, "Awkward sibling hug?" Mabel's lip trembled for a moment in contemplation before she wrapped her arms around his chest in a hug saying, "Sincere sibling hug." She closed her eyes and patted his back but didn't let go. Dipper patted her back in return as they both said, "Pat, Pat." Pacifica grinned at their weird antics.