Chapter 18 - Defiance

A/N: Mild violence and Blood, nothing too crazy, just a heads up.

They followed Wendy down into the lab taking the elevator. As it descended to the lab and stopped at the bottom the door opened up revealing the lab space. As they ventured further in Dipper could see the control room and the portal in the room beyond. Ford had set up a device in front of the portal that looked like it piggybacked of the portal somehow. It was a long arm with three prongs that pointed out towards the room. Ford pointed to it. "Turning it on idle will be enough to summon him as he will detect its power signature. We just have to activate the device once Bill is touching the relic. If we can do that we can rip his consciousness from his physical body. Now someone had to hold the relic as a distraction. Whatever you don't let the relic touch your skin. It won't send you to the alternate dimension anymore, but it will make your body a catalyst for Bill to possess. It forces him to enter that body. That would be bad, as you would be bound to his consciousness for the time and would be lost if the machine was activated. As soon as I throw the lever the device warms up for a few seconds and then fires." Dipper nodded.

Ford was silent for a moment. When he spoke it was somber. "We may have some hard choices to make so we need to set the ground rules now. Bill must be eliminated at all costs. Now, knowing that he probably will try to possess one of us. Normally he has to get our consent, but if the relic touches you you're fair game for him to possess. So don't touch the relic." Everyone nodded.

Dipper quickly explained the distraction Rick and alternate Ford had created that would buy them some time. He showed him the small device he held in his hands. When everyone was ready Dipper took the relic before anyone else could volunteer. He wasn't losing anyone else he cared about. Ford said, "Are you ready Dipper?" Dipper looked at Pacifica. Pacifica looked him in the eyes boldly and nodded. Dipper said boldly, "Do it!" His eyes never left Pacifica's as he said it. Gideon handed him the small box. Dipper opened the lid revealing the four-sided die. The one side with Mabel's blood now faced upwards at him, a taunting reminder of what had been taken from him.

Ford flipped the switch turning the three-pronged device on in idle mode. It hummed as it started up. Dipper braced himself ready for anything. Dipper waited tensely for about two minutes before he started to relax a little. What was taking Bill so long? Dipper pulled out his watch to look at it only to find his watch screen was cracked. What the? How on earth had his invincible watch survived after all these adventures and broke now just walking through the mystery shack? Dipper looked closer at the screen to try and assess the details for a clue as to how it busted. Dipper looked closely. He saw a yellow smudge on the screen. Perhaps he hit it on something and pulled up the paint? He tried to buff it off but instead, the yellow spot had grown bigger. What the?!? Dipper watched now as the yellow grew and covered the entire watch glass. Then to his horror, an eye appeared on the watch face. "Hiya PINES!" the watch shouted in Bill's voice. Dipper lept in fright as Bill appeared out of the watch and floated in the middle of the lab laughing down at him in his fright.

Bill twirled the black cane he had just summoned out of mid-air gleefully. "You humans are so much more entertaining than interdimensional cable. Maybe I'll keep one of you as a pet. Something to poke when I need a laugh. "Where's my sister!" Dipper roared challenging Bill. Bill frowned at him. "I liked you better when your voice squeaked," he said with mirthful amusement. "But don't worry what good is a collection without the complete pair. Bill grinned Maliciously and snapped his fingers. Mabel appeared on the ground in the middle of the room curled in the fetal position as she shivered and convulsed. Dipper rushed forward and scooped her up onto his lap as he knelt down. Her head was in her hands as her hands covered her eyes. Mabel's legs and arms hung limply in his arms as he held her. Mabel muttered incoherently and shivered and convulsed occasionally. Dipper shook with rage. "What the hell have you done to her Bill!" Bill smirked with amusement. "Why do I always get the blame honestly, do you know that most people's nightmares have to do with their family. Digest that one." Dipper shouted, "Yeah cause, unlike you others, care about others, you sick sadist."