Chapter 8 - Dark World

Something sharp was jabbing into Dipper's back as he sat up rubbing his eyes groggily moving away from the offending stone that was laying on the ground. For some reason, Dipper had been lying on the ground in the woods. He could smell the astringent crisp scent of pine mixed with earthy tones of petrichor in the damp air. It must have just rained. It was cold and the very air seemed to wick away Dipper's warmth and hope. Why did he feel so terrible? What had happened he thought as he tried to make out his surroundings. The woods were dark and only scant rays of moonlight filtered through the deep pines around him. What the heck? Why was it summer all of a sudden?! It had been winter before he passed out.

Then the memories came back like a flood. The beacon in the night sky. Mabel's face as she cried out. Bill and all his gloating. Dipper remembered Bill had told him something about this place. What had that pointy jerk said? He tried to remember. Think Gravity Falls but darker...what the hell did that mean Dipper thought in irate frustration?!? Dipper then began to worry. That evil dream demon was left with his family and his little friend Zuri. Fear began to gnaw at him like hunger. Dipper shook his head attempting to clear it. What else had Bill said? Some cryptic warning or something. Then it dropped into his mind. Try not to get eaten. What the hell did that mean Dipper thought the frustration returning in full.

Then a terrible roar sounded off in the distance that made Dipper's bones shiver. It was unworldly and foreboding and sounded like a large predator. Dipper immediately began to take in his surroundings. Nothing but pines and a large ridge. Dipper decided to head away from the sound as he was not too keen on finding out what the voice belonged to. Not whilst he was practically defenseless. Dipper walked up the ridge quietly as it led out of the deep woods. The rocky crag jutted upward slightly making Dipper focus on his footing. As he reached the edge he saw the ledge was a very high overlook into a deep round basin valley. He saw a small town with but a few lights. On the back wall of the basin valley in the background, a high-rise trestle bride of railroad tracks led into the mountainside on both sides of the narrow entrance. It formed the entrance into the valley.

Recognition dropped like an anvil in his mind. The valley was Gravity Falls! Dipper somehow was on the surrounding cliff overlooking the valley. How had he arrived here? It must have been some sleight of hand on Bill's behalf. He was really begging to despise that sadistic overbearing troublemaker of a vexation.

A loud snap of dry wood ripped Dipper out of his reverie as his survival instincts spiked into overdrive alongside his adrenaline as he scanned the woods in search of the source of the noise. The sound had been heavy and close. Whatever it was it was decent sized. It was then that Dipper realized a pair of golden glowing eyes were peering through the low-hanging tree branches as they watched him. A low growl rumbled from the creature's throat as it lumbered out of the shadows slowly and deliberately towards him.

It was then as it stepped into the moonlight that Dipper got his first look at the creature stalking him. Its gray withered skin hung loosely from its bones as its yellow teeth were bared in a wicked grin that looked like a death rictus. The sight of the zombie lumbering towards him made Dipper shiver as he looked around assessing his escape route. It was now that Dipper saw the narrow switchback that wound back and forth on the cliff face as sparse pines dotted the rocky outcrop of a ridge providing cover and windbreak on the cliffs. Dipper made a run for the switchbacks.

As he did the zombie roared. This time Dipper was very close to the unearthly sound he had heard from a long way off earlier. All Dipper cared about was reaching the ridge and the path into the valley. Dipper heard at least a dozen roars call from deeper within the woods and more sounds of stomping and tree branches breaking as no doubt more zombies made their way to the cliff in an attempt to cut him off.