Chapter 5 - The Mall

The drive to the mall always took a while as it was a few counties away and thus gave Dipper plenty of time to reflect. Pacifica told them it was the best they had to choose from short of jet setting to Portland. Speaking of which Dipper mused, Pacifica had recently acquired a local airstrip right here in Gravity Falls just before the honeymoon. It had come as a perk from another interested investor that knew Pacifica now permanently lived in Gravity Falls. He had used the airstrip that was part of his business as an incentive. Pacifica had already felt good about the deal and was not going to complain. After landing the deal she had called and personally assured the proprietor in charge of the airport itself that other than a few minor changes she had no plans to interfere with the man's business. He had taken it well as he was sure the company was going to be liquidated and auctioned off. He was very relieved and thus was equitably accommodating.

When Pacifica mentioned purchasing a private jet he offered to maintain the upkeep and housing out of pocket. Pacifica had refused as she knew this was the man's private business. She had simply smiled a rare smile, while on business that is, and told him she had hired a crew to keep it accommodated twenty-four-seven. She did however invite him over for English tea finger sandwiches she had made while Dipper made espresso. They had been unpacking and Pacifica had made a phone call to the proprietor. The older gentleman had joined them for the afternoon and had brought some of his wife's potato salad which turned out to be the best Dipper or Pacifica had ever tried.

Nonetheless, they decided to go to the mall that was closer by and only two counties over. Besides Pacifica had wanted to go to the shoe store there to show Mabel. As they arrived at the massive snow-covered parking lot Pacifica found a parking spot near the back not wanting anyone to ding up her doors. The snowplows were hard at work clearing the old and the municipal streets. Dipper had been neutral about the shoe store even if it was not his interest he was just happy to spend time with the girls. However that all changed when he saw the hundred food entrance to the massive outdoor camping recreational center. Dipper almost short-circuited as he stared in the window like a ten-year-old ogling at a new game system. Pacifica rolled her eyes at his predictable reaction while Mabel supprised Dipper by scooping her arms around his midsection in a ferocious hug.

"Please Dipper, if you come with us to the shoe store I promise we'll visit the camping store next. Pacifica scoffed. "What kind of masochist sleeps outdoors for fun?!?" Dipper trudged begrudgingly towards the shoe store with a frown while Mabel dragged her brother forward. Gideon who was enjoying the antics from a distance got the door for the ladies and Dipper. Mabel curtsied, despite that she wore rainbow-striped leggings, a teal skirt, and her pink shooting star sweater. "What a fine you gentleman, I might just have to steal a kiss," she said with a pointed wink as she opened her jaw accentuating the gesture. Gideon tipped an invisible hat with a sly debonair smile and replied, "anything for a lovely dame such as yourself." Mabel sauntered ahead while Dipper shook his head and followed.

As a kind respite for Dipper, Mabel was now entirely distracted by shoes much to his relief. Dipper kind of zoned out the next ten minutes while he watched Mabel and Pacifica try on various shoes. Two girls walked by and eyed Dipper up and down. The one looked back after she passed giving him a look down. Gideon smirked in amusement. "Guys don't go to mostly chic's shoe shops often I suspect." Dipper shrugged, "no not really, but I'd have to be hit in the head with an anvil before I lost interest in Pacifica. Besides I don't play around." Gideon frowned, "Good because I'd have to break your face if you hurt my cousin like that," he said with a playful but half-serious growl. Dipper laughed. "After you meet someone like Pacifica everyone else sort of pales in comparison." Gideon smiled, "I guess that's what it was like with Mabel. I just never expected to have her reciprocate the feeling."