Chapter 19 - Resurgent

The days went by slowly after that. Dipper discovered Mabel was alive, in the biological sense of the word. Her mind and spirit, however...Dipper was unsure of these things. She was unresponsive. Dipper spent as much time taking care of Mabel as he could. Much of the time he just sat beside her holding her hand staring into nothing. Ford had let Dipper go from his responsibilities for the time being. Besides Dipper's arm needed time to heal in a sling. Wendy had apologized profusely. Dipper was too stunned to comment besides, "Sure, thing." Dipper had tried to show up at work but Ford had refused his assistance. He told him he needed time to sort things out. It had been a week since then. Dipper had told Ford he wanted to come back to work with him today. He was slipping into depression, and he needed the distraction. Dipper held her hand every day and talked to her, even sang to her as he often cried.

Pacifica had been an angel, and he was worried about the toll this would take on her too. She deserved the best. But that was just it. Without Mabel, what was left? He felt like a vacuum had been created in his chest. He couldn't breathe he couldn't move on, he just slowly bled out, day by day, little by little till all he felt was numbness. He tried not to let it affect how he acted around Pacifica, but that was impossible. She had told him it was ok, but he didn't want to push her away or worse hurt her too. One night she had curled up next to him and wrapped her arms around his chest. She said nothing for twenty minutes. Finally, Dipper broke and just cried. After that, he opened up to her more. He shared with her what he was going through. He realized he needed to include her. She was his wife. She was part of him now after all.

Dipper looked at the monitor as he walked into the room. Her vitals were nominal other than not being awake. Dipper turned to place his book bag on the night table next to the bed. Dipper had been reading to Mabel. He had read Shakespear, Byron, T.S. Elliot, and even C.S. Lewis's Lord of the Rings. He had promised her he would read it with her one day, so he was keeping that promise. He read through the chapter till get got to the quote. "'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo. 'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'." Dipper read the line and slowly bookmarked and closed the book. Dipper took Mabel's hand in his. Her soft skin was warm but Dipper wanted to see her warm smile again...to hear his sister laugh. Dipper closed his eyes as the tears came. He buried his head in her stomach gently and sobbed.

Dipper felt a hand brush through his hair. Dipper jumped back startled. To see a sleepy Mabel blinking back at him. "Did I sleep in?" she asked as she yawned." Dipper took her hands in disbelief and just stared at her trying to determine whether he had finally gone mad and his mind was torturing him as well. He just stared at her and felt her hands grip his back. She was real. Mabel said, "Earth to Dip?" Dipper shook his head, "I'm sorry what?" Mabel laughed and said, "Did Pacifica just kiss you real good or something, you're acting funny."
 She watched him with amused humor. Dipper put on a somber tone, "Mabel what was the last thing that you remember?" Mabel's smile faded and she looked pensive while she thought. Then her eyes flare wide open. "The relic! I touched it! Did we defeat Bill?!?" Dipper squeezed her hands back reassuringly. "You kicked his butt, Mabel! You defeated him."

Mabel then looked at his face discerning the worry. She then looked around the room seeing the monitor. That was when she discovered the IV. Dipper text Ford. "I need you to change Mabel's IV Right away. Get Stanley and Pacifica." Mabel reached out and touched his arm. "What happened to your arm Dipper?" Her voice was steeped with kind empathy and soft concern. Dipper brushed her cheek with his hand affectionately. "You almost die and you're worried about me? I love you Mabes, you're the best sister." Mabel smiled. "Are the Stan's upset?" she asked tentatively. Dipper chuckled with a smile. "Naturally, but what matters is your back!" They'll be fine now, we all will. Pacifica came through the door first. "What happened to her IV Dipper is everyth..." Pacifica dropped her purse in stark shock. She rushed to Mabel's side and put her arms around her and cried. "Oh Mabel, we didn't know if you were still with us or not." Pacifica sniffled as she held he sister in law. She scolded Mabel hardly but with love. "Don't ever scare us like that again!" Mabel hugged her and Pacifica cried again. "I'll try not to," Mabel whispered.