Chapter 9: Bidii

Author's note: At (xxx) play Owl City's When Can I see you again

Hasira stared out from the edge of a cliff at the Tree of Life with a longing expression.

"Grrr, how much longer do we need to wait!? You promisssed my dragonssssss and I would feasssssst asssssss we never feassssssted before!!" Ora hissed. Despite the komodo dragon's initial outrage, he quickly wilted upon seeing the adolescent lion's contained fury.

"You're welcome to return to your little island, if you think you can get back. Make no mistake, Ora, when I recruited you and your dragons, it was because I was feeling generous towards you. You need me, far more than I need you." To highlight his point, Hasira made a gesture with one of his paws, and within moments he saw four particularly violent-looking baboons in the trees over them.

Hasira shook his head at the dragons with a condescending expression.

"Excessive-food, pleasure flowers." Hasira said as he flicked a few tamaa flowers he'd collected the previous days towards Makucha and his band, who furiously seized them.

"Such feeble ambitions."

"Why did you even bring them along?" Chuluun said as she strode up beside Hasira and rested her head against him.

"I think you and I could do fine with just your other followers?" Chuluun purred.

"Hmp, a wise King doesn't waste potential resources that could prove useful one way or another. Even those two may yet serve a purpose."

"The avalanche didn't work, so what chaos will we cause today?"

Hasira narrowed his eyes while looking at the Tree of Life itself.

"There would be little point in it. I've been going about this all wrong, to succeed, that Plantagenet Prince and Capet Princess must die. So far the direct approach hasn't worked, so we'll try something a little different."

Hasira turned to a nearby tree and the binteroung who hung from it by her tail.

"The scarred prince and his companions never actually saw you, did they?"

"No, just that wretch, Bunga!" Mama Binteroung growled.

"Good, so avoid him then, and wait for your window of opportunity. Now then, you need only gain entry to the kingdom, be sure to put on a good show."

Elsewhere, inside the Tree of Life, Kion and the others eagerly waited as Nirmala and Makini stood over Ono.

"Alright, he's ready." Nirmala said. Makini eagerly removed the vines and paste from the egret's face.

"Ono, open your eyes." Janna said. Slowly, he did so, and for a brief moment, Ono saw the blurry image of an elderly lioness smiling at him. As the seconds passed, she became clearer and clearer, until at last, he saw as he had before the volcano.

"I, I can see, I can see!!!" Ono cried, flying through the air in glee.

Kion and the others felt an overwhelming feeling of joy and relief upon the return of Ono's sight, Bunga in particular.

"You did very well, Makini, you'll be a master healer in no time." Nirmala said, nearly making the young Mandril squeal in excitement.

"Queen Janna, thank you, I-" Kion started.

"Kion, it is our duty to heal animals here, no thanks are necessary."

"But you have it." Kion said as Ono landed beside him and they bowed together.