( 02 ) player 455

N A R I

With a groan, Nari shifted as she awoke. Opening her eyes, she was met with the bottom of a metal bunk bed.

She shot up, confused, and saw other people in the same state as her. She looked down to see that she wasn't wearing her usual clothes, but an aqua jumpsuit with the number 455 on her chest.

Light classical music filled her ears as she stood. As she walked down the platforms for the beds, she overheard a conversation.

" My doctor said counting is good so I don't get dementia or anything." It sounded like an old man, and she looked to her left to see the elderly man, and another brown haired male speaking to him.

But, her attention was soon grabbed by a familiar shout, and she rushed through the crowd to see what was happening.

A man and woman were at the centre, and the girl was on the floor. Nari's eyes widened as she saw that it was the man she'd stolen from.

" It really is a small world, huh?" He chuckled bitterly as the girl stood up.

" Look at those eyes. You still have that temper." Nari watched worriedly as he stomped closer to the girl.

" I took care of you, I fed you, I taught you when you had nowhere else. This is what I get?" Nari rolled her eyes.

" You took more from me than whatever I might possibly owe." Nari smirked. She was starting to like this girl.

" If that's true, why did you run?"

" Well, I didn't." The brunette mocked his tone. " I went independent." Her accent sounded odd, like she was trying to mask her true dialect.

He was about to swing for the girl, before he glanced over and spotted Nari. He smirked, and grabbed onto her before she could run.

" Well, well, well. Look who it is." He threw her to the floor, and she grunted as he snorted at her.

" Do you still want that time, huh?" He crouched to her level, gripping her chin painfully. The other girl stood nearby as she watched warily.

" I want my money. As soon as we get out of here, I'll beat it out of you if I need to."

" Hey, she's just a kid." A shout came from the crowd. Nari looked over to see the guy that was talking to the old man.

" Leave her be." 101 chuckled.

" Who the hell are you? Stay out of this." Was all he said before he punched Nari right in the mouth. The crowd gasped, and Nari's mouth filled with blood as she stood.

" Don't go down easy, do you?" Then, he kicked her in the side, winding her. Nari wheezed as he loomed over her, and he kicked her one last time in the stomach before the sound of doors opening made everyone freeze.

Nari clambers up off the floor as the same men that were in the vehicle walk in, but the one in the middle has a square instead of a circle. They step forward.

" I would like to extend a heartfelt welcome to you all." His voice is very deep, and almost mechanical.

" Everyone here will participate in seven different games over seven days. Those who win all seven games will receive a handsome cash prize."

" And why should we believe that?" A mans voice comes from the crowd, and everybody looks over to number 118.

" Y-You took all our stuff and put us to sleep coming here, and then you brought us to this strange warehouse. Now you're saying you'll pay us if we go and play a few games? You expect us to buy that?" Nari nods along, it is pretty sketchy.

The masked man doesn't seem phased. Well, even if he was, you wouldn't know.

" We reluctantly took all of those measures to maintain confidentiality as we brought you here. We'll return everything once the games are over."

" You all...you all have masks. Why are you wearing those things?" A woman raises her hand and asks politely.

" We do not disclose the faces and personal information of our staff to any of the participants. It's a measure we take to ensure fair games and confidentiality. Please understand." Nari huffs before speaking up.

" Well, I don't believe you one bit." She snaps.

" You got that?" The crowd turns to her, and she almost shys away, but decides against it.

" You tricked us. We were kidnapped. You can make as many excuses as you want to make sure nobody knows that you broke the law in here. If you're going to make up for that, we need something more." The crowd nods along.

" Player 455, Hwang Nari." The masked man pushes a button on a small lever and the screen in front of them goes dark, then shows her playing ddakji with the salesman. Her face grows hot.

" Age, 15 years. Former student at Ssangmun-dong high school. Stole money from people on the streets and family. Current loss, 7 million won." Nari looked to the ground in embarrassment, trying to hide her red face.

They name other players, who also look mortified.

" Every person standing here in this room is living on the brink of financial ruin. You all have debts that you can't pay off. When we first went to see each of you, not a single one of you trusted us. But, as you all know, we played a game, and as promised, gave you money when you won. And suddenly, you all trusted us. You called and volunteered to participate in this game of your own free will."

" So, this is it. I'll give you one last chance to choose. Will you go back to living your old and depressing lives getting chased by your creditors? Or will you act and seize this last opportunity we're offering here?" Another player speaks up, and Nari looks over to see a man who doesn't look Korean talking. Player 199.

" Which games are we playing here?" He asks politely, and Nari smiles at his accent. It's cute.

" In order to play fair, we cannot disclose any information about the games ahead of time." Nari rolls her eyes again.

" Just one question." The familiar voice of player 456 speaks up.

" If we win, just how much do we get?" The masked man presses another button, and chirpy music starts to play as a large piggy bank is lowered from open doors in the ceiling.

" Your prize money will be accumulated in there after every game. We will disclose the amount to everyone after the first game is over." The deep voice of the maker man tells them as the piggy bank stops.

" If you do not wish to participate, then please let us know at this time."

||

A few minutes later, Nari was stood in front of a podium that held a form. She read it carefully.

PLAYER CONSENT FORM

CLAUSE 1: A PLAYER IS NOT ALLOWED TO STOP PLAYING

CLAUSE 2: A PLAYER WHO REFUSES TO PLAY WILL BE ELIMINATED

CLAUSE 3: GAMES MAY BE TERMINATED IF THE MAJORITY AGREES

she signs with her signature and hands the form to the guard before walking away.

Once again, the classical music plays as the players walk in lines to leave the room. An announcement is heard over the speakers.

" Attention, all players, the first game is about to begin. Please follow the staffs instructions. Please make your way towards the game hall."

||

I'm too excited to wait to publish all these chapters so I might just upload one everyday