( 10 ) marble game

N A R I

With a sigh, Nari places down her bag. She still feels hot and sick, so she's trying to limit her movement.

" So, what game do you wanna play?" Jennie speaks up, fiddling with her fingers.

" Why don't we wait until the end of the game, and play one round. See who can throw a marble the farthest. Whoever is furthest gets the other players marbles."

" What should we do till then?" Nari asks.

" Talk."

||

" What can we even talk about?" Nari didn't enjoy talking about herself. There wasn't many nice things to say, and she still felt like crap.

" Ourselves. Our lives. Probably pretty shitty and depressing, but we can just get to know each other. I'll go first." Jennie announced.

" I'm Jennie, I'm 16, I live in Busan, and I work part-time in a market stall with my aunt." Jennie explains.

" Now you." Nari sighs.

" I'm Nari, I'm 15, I live in Ssangmun-dong, and..." She trails off. She doesn't have a job.

" I'm a pickpocket." She shrugs.

" What about family? What's your family like?" Jennie pushes.

" I...don't really know. We rarely talk. I haven't spoken to my mother in years. My fathers an ass. All I have is my brother." Jennie smiles at her words.

" What's your brothers name?"

Nari smiles. "Jun-ho." She may act like she doesn't care, but her brother raised her when her mother was caught up in her fathers words. In-ho too, but then he went missing. Speaking to him after the attack lifted her spirits just a bit. She couldn't wait to see him.

" What about you?" Nari turned to Jennie, who shrugged.

" My life is pretty depressing, to say the least. My mom and dad died in a car crash when I was 12. I have no siblings. Nothing to go home to." She sighed, rubbing her hands together.

Nari frowned. " You must have someone out there." Jennie shrugged.

" Not that I know of." It went silent again, before Jennie spoke up.

" What would you do with all that money? Where would you go?" Nari thought about it.

" My mom grew up in jeju island. She's never had enough money to go back. I'd buy a house for us there. We'd lead a nicer life that we have now." Jennie chuckled.

" A house? That's all? Come on, you must have more that you want." Nari started thinking again.

" I don't know, maybe a computer? Or a new phone? So I could try to get a job-"

" You wouldn't need a job with all that money, Nari." Nari sighs. That's all she can think of.

" I'd go to Spain." Jennie announced.

" I love hot weather, and swimming. I'd be at home out there. Hey, maybe you can visit me sometimes if you ever leave your house in jeju." Jennie laughed, then the mood turned somber.

" Right, we can't both get out of here." Nari pursed her lips and looked at the timer. 5 minutes.

" Wanna do this?" Jennie nodded and stood up, grabbing her bag of marbles. Nari had no idea about the sad plan Jennie had conjured up after hearing her story.

" Ok, we'll each throw a marble each. Whoever's gets the furthest wins, ok?" Jennie nods and points at Nari's jacket.

" You go first, your number is higher." Nari nodded and pulled a marble out of the bag. She aimed carefully, crouching down. It went far, hitting the 'house' in front of them.

" That was good." Jennie mused.

" Now you." Jennie took a marble out of her bag and pretended to aim, before 'accidentally' dropping it as she went to throw. She sighed, feigning disappointment.

" What the hell was that?" Nari gaped. Jennie smiled.

" You won. I lost." Nari laughed, in denial. She did that on purpose.

" Why would you do that?" She pulled on her arm harshly, upset.

" Nari," Jennie pulled her hand off gently.

" You have dreams. You have things going for you. I don't. If I leave, I have nothing. You deserve it." Nari, frustrated, grabbed Jennie and pinned her against the wall.

" That was stupid! Did you think I'd be thankful! Throw again." She demanded, Jennie only shook her head, eyes teary.

" I won't throw again. You win." Nari backed away, teary and frustrated. She felt hot all over and her side was burning.

" You won't convince me. You win. Go." Nari would've protested, but a guard walked over to lead her away. She followed, tears rolling down her cheeks.

" Nari!" She stopped in her tracks at Jennie's voice, on the verge of just falling to the ground and crying till she couldn't anymore.

" When you win...think of me. You've been more of a friend to me in 30 minutes than my real ones were in 10 years." Then, a gunshot. Nari flinched, her tears flowing more freely as she was guided out of the room.

" Player 121, eliminated."

||

I never ask to suffer but I always do

also just wanted to let you guys know that I've actually finished writing this whole story, it's just a matter of getting the chapters published. Yes double update again bc I love you guys