( 04 ) should I stay or should I go

N  A  R  I

After they left the hall, all the players sat huddled in the big bedroom, traumatised from the events of the first game.

Nari sat on her own, with her chin on her knees. Unlike others, she hadn't really spoken to anyone, at least not enough to sit with them without it being awkward.

At least, that was until footsteps reached her ears, and player 067 sat beside her, sitting the same way she was. When she sent her a confused look, she didn't say anything, just made eye contact and looked away.

Nari shrugged. She didn't mind the company. The only light source in the room was from the giant, still empty piggy bank above them, bathing them in a gold glow.

The silence didn't last long however, as the lights switched on, an alarm buzzed, and the guards walked through the door. All of the players quickly stood, anxious and wary.

" You have all made it through the first game. Congratulations, you are now moving on. I will now announce the results of the first game." The numbers started going down on the screen, and Nari glanced at 067, who was watching the screen.

They all watched anxiously as the numbers went down, and Nari gaped when the number stopped at 201. That's a lot of people dead.

" Out of 456 players, 255 were eliminated, and 201 players successfully completed the first game." Everyone seemed to shift uncomfortably, before 212 jumped forward.

" Mister, please. Listen, I'm so sorry. I swear I will pay what I owe." She cried, and Nari looked down at her feet.

" I'll do it, I'll pay it all." She fell to her knees, sobbing.

" Please, sir. I have a child. Oh! So young, I need to register, and I still need to name my child, sir. Please, sir, let me leave." Another woman fell to her knees and started to beg also.

" Sir, I'm begging you. Let me leave and I swear I'll find a way to pay it all. Let me go home." More and more people started to beg, and Nari felt uncomfortable. She wasn't used to seeing people like this.

" There seems to be a misunderstanding. We are not trying to hurt you or collect your debts. Let me remind you, that we're here to give you a chance."

" A chance?" 119 spoke up, in disbelief.

" We play some kids games, and you shoot us. You want me to choose that? That's some chance." The crowd nodded along with him.

" We may be in debt, sir," 271 added, voice shaking and his body trembling.

" But that doesn't justify killing us all." He held his shaky hands together.

" This is just a game." The masked man said.

" Killing everyone out there was a game to you, huh?" 009 cried, face scrunched up.

" They were simply eliminated for breaking the rules of the game." Nari sighs at this, sitting back down on the bunk beside 067.

" If you just follow the rules, you can leave this place safely with the prize money we promised."

" Just keep your damn money, I don't care!" Player 066 shouted, voice raspy.