THREE

SHE, WHO LIVES

"How many fingers am I holding up?" Y/N asks as she pointed out her index finger. Sayuri squints her eyes as if trying to focus.

"Two?" Y/N bites her lips and turns the door that opens with just who she was hoping to see. The soldier walks in with the mortar and pestle as ordered and hands it over to the noblewoman who's status is still unknown to him and the others.

Though they should no longer be unfazed with the pyro-user grabbing things out of mid-air like what she did with her polearm, the four militants and junior soldier watched in surprise as she took out a purple plant out of nowhere before dropping it into the mortar while keeping an eye on Sayuri. "My family was a line of doctors under the head clan of the commission that monitors our nation. But ever since the civil war and the stealing of visions, I couldn't complete my work and continue my research on this illness because the one of the larger commissioners dedicated to Her Excellency burned them." Mito turns to her friend and superior acrods Sayuri where Goshi gave her a look where he'd explain later.

"You mean the Tenryou commission you mentioned earlier?" the lieutenant colonel refers, raising a brow as he crosses his arms and watched Y/N's every move. It did make her feel uneasy but she proceeds anyways. The noblewoman nods and places down the pestle.

"This is the closest thing I have to a remedy. You need to make sure she stays away from anyone and everyone, let alone touch her. This thing is incredibly contagious it's almost mind-blowing," Y/N shakes her head and takes out a knife from her inventory, raising everyone's suspicion and guards.

"Woah, woah, what are you doing?" Mito stands up but immediately sits back down when the clan head raises her free hand to push her down.

"Yes, I will hurt her but not kill her. Injections won't work on patients affected by the energy," Y/N states and unfolds the knife. Goshi gets in front of Mito grabs her wrist, halting the actions of the young woman.

"And how can we trust you? We just met you," he furrows his eyebrows and tightens his grip on Y/N's wrist. Anyone would've let go of the  knife by now, but her hold on the weapon did not falter.

"Your friend will die if you don't let go of me."

"And you will if you don't tell us your intentions."

"I have none. My mission these past few years was to rid of the Tatarigami disease. I've tested the medicine on myself countless of times to the point I've fainted, and I've been able to cure a handful of people affected by the virus. I know this seems unsafe but you need to trust me. Every second we're wasting right now is killing this girl and her too," she nods her head towards Mito who looks down to her hands. Y/N adds, "You can do whatever you want or need to me after this but let me treat them first. I promise to make this as painless as possible but the medicine will not allow that."

The blonde and his superior give each other a glance whilst Kureto watched this exchange in silence. The lieutenant general squints his eyes at Y/N, as if suspicious. He voices his thoughts, "How did the colonel catch this Tatarigami disease just by checking her temperature when you've done more than just that?" he raises a brow along with his wariness towards the woman who sighs.

"Other people in my clan think I've grown some sort of immunity against the energy because I've tested the medicines on myself as well as expose myself to patients affected by the Tatarigami but I highly doubt that. Though unlikely, I've come to realize that there are certain vision users who simply cannot be affected by it. I don't get the theory behind it, but I just know it." Goshi slowly lets go of Y/N's now bruising wrist and steps back, keeping guard by Mito. Kureto fights the urge to scoff but does so anyway, being the audacious man he is.