TEN

HE WHO WANDERS THE LAND

Ayato sliced off the head of the vampire coming right at him with ease. He'll admit he felt uneasy not seeing them disintegrate, but three of them tried to bite his own head off. The young leader came to a conclusion that these guys are no humans. They did have a conscience and ability speak, yes, but it really is quite obvious that Ayato and the three he'd encountered aren't of the same species.

A sigh leaves the blue haired man as he finally sheathed his sword. The glance he gave the three lifeless and headless bodies was somewhat filled with pity and remorse, but regardless, he turned his back.

Now to find that reckless fireworks maker. . .

POP-POP-POP

WHOOSH

"What on—"

BOOM!!

A sigh escapes Ayato. It seems he doesn't have to look that far.

He dematerializes his sheathed weapon and runs toward the sound of the fireworks, often making sure there were no nearby vampires. Silently, he prays that Yoimiya wasn't fighting alone.

The young man jumped over rocks and abandoned cars, breath still yet to be staggered. He asked himself questions that heightened his worries. Why did she light the fireworks? Is Yoimiya in danger? Is she fighting someone? Is it the vampires?

Ayato mentally slaps himself for thinking such negative things. Yoimiya is fine. Yoimiya is fine, he chants to himself. With the land so barren, there's no mistake that it was the eccentric blonde who lit the celebratory props.

By the Gods, what if she isn't okay? What if she's entangled in a battle with those humanoid things he fought off earlier?

Stop it.

He prayed to every archon but his own that one of the others he came with are with the young Naganohara. Even if it were just one.

And he prayed that the someone he's thinking of, even if the chances were one to three, was Y/N.

The fireworks sounded again. Dread dropped into Ayato's stomach. He shook his head again and told himself to have faith in the girls and Kazuha. They'll be fine—they are fine-

Suddenly, a screech echoed throughout the empty streets.

It wasn't anything animalistic nor human. Was it one of those he fought earlier? The clan head skids to a halt and pauses, listens for another sound. There were gunshots, followed by distinct yelling. He hoped he wasn't hallucinating when he heard Yoimiya's voice call out to Y/N.

At the familiar name, Ayato bolts, possibly running faster than before. He ran towards the direction where the sounds of struggle and fighting was audible. There were a few pauses and turns but the eldest son of the Kamisato clan never stopped to catch his breath.

Clanging of swords and the sound of arrows leaving a bowstring slowly became more distinct. They're getting close. There was a bit of shouting here and there, commands mostly, followed by (who was hopefully) Yoimiya calling out to a certain noblewoman. Undeniably so, Ayato's legs were beginning to sore but he didn't have the time to care for himself now.

The girls are in danger, possibly Kazuha and Kokomi too. And he promised General Gorou Kokomi would return unscathed and in one piece. Some leader he is.

There's no set explanation as to why the four appeared in different spots. Ayato was alone when he'd woken up, and he can assume that the others experienced the same, or at least, hopefully, in pairs, maybe even altogether. But that's wishful thinking at this point.

The blue-haired man makes one more turn and looks left and right. When his head snaps to his dominant side, he catches sight of his friends fighting alongside a handful of strangers clad in black and red uniforms  against the humanoids he fought earlier. It's obvious there are more of them. The sun was beginning to set, and there's a chance these things could be nocturnal. There weren't much during daylight, so he could only assume that there'd be more when the sun's gone.

Ayato notices them (those in uniform) backing away before shouting something indistinct to the girls bearing visions who were on the front lines. There were five of the inhumane people, and they seemed strong. Before Ayato could lend a hand, Y/N slams the hilt of her polearm into the ground, sending a blast of fire to her opposing before turning around to say something to the uniformed people.

She seemed distressed. Yelling, too. He could barely make out the words because of the distance. All the male clan head could here was "idiot," "trust/cyst (he can't tell, though he's leaning towards the former)," and "I can handle a fight."

Next to Y/N was none other than the root cause of the fireworks. She held Gorou's bow with a tight grip, biting her lips as she nervously switches her gaze between her fellow pyro and the JIDA officials. Ayato slowly conceals himself further behind the building that hid him, accidentally crunching on a dead leaf. Oh, great. Spectacular. You oversee a whole ninja division under your clan and this is how it turns out. Just great, the Kamisato thought to himself, a cloud of worry fogging up his chest.

The others far east heard the somewhat slight, but evident noise. Was there a vampire they forgot to get rid of?

"Don't you want to go check on that, your majesty?" Guren says, practically spitting out the sarcastic honorific.

Y/N scowls once again. "Just because I said what I said earlier doesn't mean I'm full of myself. I know my limits and five definitely wasn't enough," she says through gritted teeth. The female clan head didn't know if Guren was serious about checking on the noise but regardless, the woman steps forward, then again, until she was fully walking.

Out of concern, Yoimiya decided to join her, bow already pulled back and charged. The closer they got to the alleyway, the higher Yoimiya's bow went. Slowly, slowly, painstakingly slowly raising the bow to proper posture. Y/N's polearm remained shackled in her grip, keeping an eye on all the openings of the building. The blonde next to her decided to look around and guard Y/N's back before turning to the same direction as her superior.

Ayato held his breath. The only ways out were the exit where Y/N and Yoimiya are closing in and the other far end of the alley which would take him a minute to leave through, with or without fully sprinting.

Hold on a damn minute, why am I even hiding from them?

Ayato dematerializes his weaoin and comes into light. "Miya, don't shoot," he says as he raised his arns and revealed himself. The mentioned girl's eyes went wide before crunching with a smile, slowly disarming her bow.

Y/N stared at Ayato in disbelief.

What in the actual fuck is happening?

1155 WORDS

ayato has been introduced, kokomi and kazuha are still nowhere to be seen!! are they safe w hotaka?? no one knows ;)

note that this chapter is a small timeskip— just a day or two after yoimiya was found, alive, thankfully.

sorry for the late chapter // again // i'll try to be more active!

im planning on publishing a genshin x black clover femr! ff, should i? i'd like your feedback!!