SIX

FINDING ONESELF

A white-haired boy doubles over in heavy breaths before turning around to lean his back on a cracked wall. His pink friend places a gloved hand on the same wall and sucks in deep breaths. "I don't—we shouldn't heal now, those things will probably find us here,"  Kazuha starts and slides down. "They look it, but they're definitely not human." Kokomi nods.

"Your burns, they're acting up, aren't they?" Kokomi asks and looks down at the bandaged hand of her comrade, who hides away almost immediately.

"They sting a bit is all. Finding Lady L/N is our priority right now," Kazuha clears his throat as he rests his head against the wall. Kokomi looks around for the opposing before kneeling down to Kazuha's spot and unwrapping his bandages, grimacing slightly at the blistered skin. "Are you sure we should do this now?"

"Yes, don't you worry one bit. This will be very quick, I promise," Kokomi whispers and summons a tiny jellyfish on his now bare hand, exposing the red, almost healed third-degree burns from his first encounter with the Raiden Shogun's Musou no Hitachi. The small jellyfish dances around on the burns that acted up mid-battle, soothing Kazuha.

His first treatment with Kokomi after he was found by Gorou, the Resistance general, was a blur. He could barely remember what transpired. But the priestess remembers everything, word for word. The younger boy looked so depressed and out of it. He did nothing but hold his arm out for Kokomi to heal. When Kazuha looked up after she said that the burns wouldn't heal fully if he remained in battle, she was taken aback by the look in his eyes. She'd never seen such empty eyes before.

All he said was: "I'm not stepping off the field as long as the Vision Hunt Decree remains. There's a battle that has to be finished."

Kazuha sniffs the air. Someone is coming. The shuffling of crunching leaves interrupts them. Kokomi extracts the hydro construct and hurriedly ushers the white-haired boy to bandage his hand while she stands up and peeks her head out of the pillar. No one, so far. She takes light and silent steps, keeping her breathing as quiet as possible. A shadow moves from her peripheral vision, and out of instinct, throws an attack towards that direction. Kazuha finishes redressing his burn and stands up as a groan elicits, followed by a small clattering from the place the Sangonomiya shot at.

The unlikely duo turns the corner with their weapons out, greeted by a man in black and green uniform. The terrified man has his gloved hands out as if to protect himself. The sound of rattling most likely came from his sword which remained discarded and out of arm's reach. Kokomi and the ronin slowly lower their weapons and share a glance at each other.

"Who are you?" Kazuha asks with his sword drawn. The question makes the other man flinch, probably thinking that they weren't human. The tone in Kazuha's soft voice somewhat calmed the stranger, making him feel obligated to answer.

He slowly crawls backwards. "I-I'm Murai Hotaka--please don't hurt me! I was sent here by my superiors to get you!" replied the scared man. Kokomi almost had the thought of putting away her catalyst, but instead holds it higher. "Not-Not to kill you, my goodness! I can't--I--" Hotaka couldn't form a proper sentence with the two weapons being pointed at him, especially the sword in the white-haired boy's hands that glowed blue.

"He seems harmless. . . overall, at least," Kazuha lowers his arm and draws his sword. The priestess narrows her blue eyes at the newcomer before slowly discarding her catalyst. Hotaka's green eyes remain full of fear, but after witnessing the two put away their weapons, he somewhat relaxes. Regardless of his relief, the ronin can't help but ask another question. "What do you mean you were sent to get us?"

Hotaka slowly stands up and places his stray sword in its sheath. His mocha skin glistens with sweat as he turns back to the two. "I was ordered by Lieutenant General Hiiragi to get you along with a full team, but they were all taken. . ."

"Taken by who?" Kokomi asks softly. Hotaka lifts his earthy gaze.

"The vampires."

***

The jeep Guren drove remains silent. With Sayuri out of commission and Mito in quarantine, they had to invite Major General Shinya, Kureto's brother, to tag along. With him and Y/N, they had a full team. Purple eyes glaze over the cracked roads a few dozen times, keeping an eye out for any obstacles. Y/N on the other hand tries her best not to freak out. She knows the priestess and samurai can handle themselves, but when Guren told her there has to be at least five members per group, she felt her heart drop. According to Kureto, there was no one else with them, rendering them outnumbered.

No matter how many times the L/N said the two could keep up their ends up, she couldn't stop thinking of the outcomes of this retrieval mission. She looks to the front seats, an eye kept on a head of silver. He was yet another Hiiragi with an unfamiliar name. Although she met with strangers almost daily as a job, something about this place made her feel all too uncomfortable. There was nothin she knows about them; medical records, what they're thinking, why they're working in the military. 

The days of simple are no longer. The clanswoman has to embrace that. Waking up in another world is already confusing enough. Though Y/N's seen foreign faces a lot, she needed a familiar name, a face she's seen otherwise she's bound to go crazy.

All of a sudden, the car comes to a screeching halt. "Vampires."

Gods, it's like the world wants her to go insane. 

Two men in white stands across the vehicle, sinister smiles stretched across their pale faces. If you don't move right now, I swear to all the gods the twin archons killed, I'm gonna throw something and number one on the list are my hands. Everyone slowly got out of the car. Y/N keeps her e/c eyes on the damned corpses, ready to poke at their hearts that don't beat. If she's gonna go home with blood on her hands, so be it.

1051 WORDS

hmmm why did kureto order that dude to get kerkermi and kazooha when mc and the others were gonna do that 🤔

im so sorry for the late update! as we all know, ayato's official appearance has been released, however, the description and weapon kamisato ayato uses here will remain the same. he will wield a claymore, have longer hair than in his official appearance and have similar clothing to ayaka's.

to the new readers who arrived AFTER the release of ayato's official appearance, please know that this story was written before that time. im aware of the fact that he is not a claymore. this was a form of copium after hearing speculation of ayato being an npc. we're all desperate, trust me.