Prologue 7

3 Months Ago

Summer of 1945

"I think the red hair clip would look best."

"No, the blue would be better!"

"I disag-"

"Please ladies, this should become a huge argument." Linh looked at the ladies-in-waiting. "Besides," She moved to get the silver clip, "I'd rather wear the silver one."

The ladies-in-waiting were quick to apologize.

"So sorry about that."

"We're just so excited for today! You both deserve the world."

Linh smiled at Anita, one of the maids. "Thank you." She looked back at the mirror, "Only an hour left."

-

Meanwhile...

"How should I walk?"

"Excuse me?"

Wylie paced around his dressing room and looked at Tam for help.

"How should I walk when I first enter the ballroom?"

Tam looked at him oddly. "You should walk normally?"

Wylie nodded. "I agree."

Tam, who was leaning against the wall, reached out to stop Wylie's pacing. "Calm down. You're definitely overthinking this. Linh loves you for who you are, not for how you walk."

Wylie drags his hand down his face. "I know. You're right. I just have a feeling something is out of place, and I want this wedding to go perfectly." He smiled. "Linh deserves the world."

Tam claps him on the shoulder. "Let's not fantasize about my sister while I'm in the room. I'll take this as my cue to leave."

Before Tam was about to close the door, he looked back, "And also, good luck."

-

"Come in!"

Linh turns away from the vanity and looks towards the door. Her mother cautiously steps in.

Linh reads the look on her mom's face and her smile wobbles. "What's wrong? Is everything okay?"

Queen Mai kneels in front of her and takes her hands. "Everything is fine darling. I just wanted to tell you something."

Looking curiously at her mother, Linh cocks her head.

"You know that, no matter what happens at the wedding, you and Wylie are still in love right?"

"Mom, that doesn't make sense. What's wrong?"

The Queen sighed. "There's going to be a terrible storm heading this way. Right in time for the ceremony."

Linh shook her head. "That's okay. As long as Wylie and I can still be married today, there's really nothing to worry about."

Queen Mai started tearing up. "I love you so much, waterbug. I hope you always remember that."

-

As the King and Queen looked at their subjects and guests, it struck them just how grown up their kids were. Tam was taking up responsibilities for the good of the kingdom and Linh was about to be married. They looked at each other in contentment, and smiled.

-

*cue wedding music*

Wylie tried not to fidget with his tie. The organ player had started the traditional wedding-type music, and Wylie grew more anxious every second. There was an eerie feeling settled over the ballroom, as the threat of a storm was approaching. But nothing could ruin this day.