I: Adrift in the Abyss

Monster... That's what they called me.

Ever since I was born, they treated me differently.

My brother Haru, he was a genius. The masters paid him too much attention, the other students idolized him. He was always perfect. He was always nice.

While I was the disappointing by-product... Haru and I were only two years apart, but everyone could distinguish us quite easily.

He had golden blond hair, cobalt blue eyes, and a glowing expression of joy. He was also a certified Keyblade Master at the age of 14.

Where as I was his fallen image, his shadow. I had dark brown hair, yellow eyes, and a somewhat sullen expression.

I tried everything to gain the acceptance of everyone. If I acted like Haru, maybe people would take notice of me. But he and I were different. While he was the talented and gifted Keyblade Master of Light, I was always behind him, the neglected part of his Shadow.

We were both the apprentice of Master Balmung, an elderly yet stern man who commands a lot of influence in Scala Ad Caelum. But who knew the man had favorites. When Haru rose to fame and ability, he left me in the lurch, but that was also my fault. Try as I might, it never changed anything. Haru was always five steps ahead of me, Hardworking and studious, he never relented.

Keyblade training, physical training, even trying to summon my keyblade took me months. The only thing I was good at was transcribing ancient languages and magic. But as a Keyblade Wielder, Magic is the most basic thing to learn so it wasn't as remarkable.

But I never pay any mind to the criticisms and the harsh remarks people make. All of it was true.

Little did I know... My feelings were the source of the dark seed taking root in my heart.

I sat by the starless night at the hill overlooking Scala ad Caelum. By the hard cobblestoned floors, the wind breezed through, bringing upon a cold air of sadness and forlorn.

Tomorrow's my Mark of Mastery Exam... Haru will be watching. And so will the other wielders and their masters.

I clutched my chest, the nervousness was getting stronger. The feeling of inadequacy, I thought I was used to it. But all this time, I was just fooling myself.

"Ah... I'm screwed."

I told myself... I will be okay, I'll be fine. But that was just the wishful thinking of a child destined to fail.

Haru... Please don't hate me.

The day of my Mark of Mastery exam was here... And the number of spectators were astronomical.

The headmaster of Scala ad Caelum, Master Odin welcomed us as per tradition. Telling us that it was our duty to defend the World's Light, and that Darkness must be vanquished.

"Now then, without further ado, Let me call upon our Wielders who will partake in the Mark of Mastery; Master Freya's student, Rosa. Master Brynhildr's student, Noctua. And Master Balmung's student, Akihito."

All three of us stood in front of the crowd. The other two were composed, but I was already shaking. The amount of nervousness was already affecting my senses. My breathing was unsteady, and my vision was getting dim.

"Now then future masters. Let your examination begin!"

We all summoned our keyblades as a dark corridor opened and a swarm of heartless poured out. Shadows and Soldiers all charged at us, but we made quick work of them. It was all basic practice, until something went wrong.