Chapter 9

"Hey." Fingers snap my way. "Over here." Darson calls me over then points to the sofa. Why does he look like he's about to scold me? I make my way toward the sofa, begrudgingly. What now?

I sit on the white, soft, plush material of the sofa and he pulls an armchair to sit in front of me. What a shame. With a personality like his, he's practically wasting his face away. My marriage wouldn't have been so hard if he had his face with Dean's personality. Don't get me wrong. Dean is really good looking too. It's just that Darson has a really annoying trait where he tends to excel in everything. Did he save the earth from devastation in his past life? Why is he so fortunate?

"That thing you did earlier...don't ever do it again." What is he going on about now?

"What thing?" He briefly narrows his eyes at me. I'm genuinely confused.

"The thing in the car." He explains further but it doesn't actually help. I try racking my brain for what he can possibly be talking about. A lot of stuff happened in the car but I can't really narrow it down to one thing. My silence has him sighing and dragging his hands down his face in frustration. "That thing you did when-" He points himself then shakes his head. "Nevermind. You're unbelievable." He stands and heads for the room.

"Wait. Be more specific." I call out but I only hear the sound of the door closing behind him. "How are you mad that I don't get what 'thing' you're talking about?" I whisper to myself. Perhaps me pinching him? Seems logical. Or maybe that accident...I quickly shake my head at the thought. Nope, not it.

I take the opportunity in exploring the suite. Definitely a couple suite. It even smell like strawberries in here. I take a couple pictures of myself while I'm at it. I'll take as much pictures on this trip. It is my first time in Australia so I'm pretty excited for the days ahead. At least that's the feeling I get after subtracting Darson from the equation.

The door to the bedroom opens and Darson strolls out in a navy blue suit and black tie. The way he dresses is so modern and manly. I find myself checking him out. Not in the 'I want to make you my husband' type of way. It's more like a 'I admire your sense of fashion' kind of way.

"Don't open the door for anyone. Don't talk to strangers. Don't wander around-" He states as he gathers his briefcase and a bottle water.

"Are you serious?" I cross a hand over my chest.

"Yes. I am serious." Darson Meldeev is worried about me? That's new. Or is it him not wanting me to bring him trouble? It seems very much likely to be the latter. "This meeting is important. I don't want to have to cut it short because you go missing in a foreign country or something." Why am I not surprise?

"Rest assure. You won't be the one I'll be calling if it does happen."

"Then it's settled." My mouth slowly slides open at the man in front of me. He points at me. "Keep to your word." Then he disappears out the door. I snatched up a really good one, didn't I?

**************************************

I wander around the lobby of the hotel. I am so done with sitting in that hotel room. It's flippin' Australia. I should be out somewhere getting lost. Where should I go first? I scan the lobby for something familiar and end with someone familiar. Dean.

He notices me the same time I do him and is currently walking over to me. "Khara." He greets. I smile at his casual tone. It is the first time he addresses me so casually.

"Fancy seeing you out here and not behind a wheel." I joke and he smiles along.

"Mr. Meldeev's meeting is held somewhere in this hotel so I get the time off." I nod in understanding. "I was thinking maybe lunch or something. A little treat."