Chapter 20

"To be honest I was worried you'll bail out." I push him in the shoulders with a grin. Darson and I are on the couch having a glass of wine. We decided to calm our nerves by having a little helper. To be honest, my heart has never been beating the same since earlier.

Our plan was to leave Darson's briefcase in Mr. Gordfield's office. Darson had thankfully been in the storage room before and was able to notice the one way lock on the door. After locking them in there, I placed the key somewhere that would be hard to find but wouldn't look like someone planted it there at the same time. That's why I chose under the desk where it could have simply fell and slid out of view. Now, the asthma attack. A bit much you say? It was my idea. It gave me a reason to go back into Mr. Gordfield's office without looking suspicious. I was only going in there to supposedly grab Darson's inhaler. I then had to snap a picture and exit the office but I figured I should get a hard copy. Just in case. Now that took longer than I expected and by the time I finished I didn't have time to exit the office. In so, Darson had to lie about the code.

"You have no faith in me." I pout and he grins while taking a sip of his wine.

"It's not that. At one point, even I wanted to bail on this plan." That has me holding my chest in laughter. And here I thought I was the only one suffering through cardiac arrest earlier.

"It's the first time I did something this crazy." I smile in thought and Darson looks over at me with the same look.

"It's thrilling, isn't it? The adrenaline rush is amazing." I nod.

"But I'm never doing anything like this ever again." I laugh and he chuckles along. I've been hearing that sound from him a lot lately. I'm beginning to want to hear it more often. It was something of a melodious kind.

"Aww, why not? You're going to be my new partner in crime. The Bonnie to my Clyde." I give him a look, the smile never leaving my face.

"Seriously? Me of all people?" I almost laugh at the eager nod he gives me. "For all I know I probably freaking died in that office. You could be talking to my ghost right now." There goes that chuckle again. Maybe it's the wine. Can it possible be taking effect already?

"Ghost or not, this is the second time you've helped me in a crime." He points at me and I furrow my eyebrows. "That time when you purposefully eavesdropped on those women in the bathroom." An 'O' shape forms on my lips as I nod in remembrance.

"Either way, I'm never doing this again."

"Aww. What are wives for?" I take a pillow and hit him on the arm.

"Is this all you tolerate me for? To use me for your crimes." I hit him again and he tries dodging them.

"Definitely. Would you rather I use you for something else? It'll be just as thrilling and heart quickening. Minus being caught. I can keep a secret but can you?" He winks and I place my wine glass on the table as I continue my attacks.

"Darson Meldeev!" I scold.

"That's what I like to hear. Only a little louder." He really knows how to get on my nerves.

************************************

Darson is talking to someone on the phone in his office. It's about the contract and I don't know how it's going. I stay outside the office door with my thumb nail in my mouth. I don't usually do this but I can hear the edge in Darson's voice. Is that a good thing or bad thing? With Darson, I don't even know.

He opens the door and I walk right in. Gosh, I hope this entire thing will pay off. "Next time you're eavesdropping be a little more quiet." He drops down in his office chair with a sigh.