Chapter Thirteen

Cuthbert looked at his son, steadfast and sturdy as he excelled in training. While he knew that in real life, it would be much deadlier, he couldn't help but feel proud of him. A son of a thegn no less should at least match his father.

"Stop using your shield too much," the sergeant said as he kept striking the wooden sword at him. The boy raised his shield, as he then strikes the wooden sword to his chest. As the sergeant fall, the boy offered to help him up.

"Word of advice, don't simply let your guard down," the sergeant said as he got up. Cuthbert smiled, as he saw much his son has grown. He could see the fire in his eyes as he parried.

"Fine work, Edward," Cuthbert said as the son bowed his head. No boastful actions or amusing gestures he made. He was stoic like his father, as he does not waste his time with his emotions. As he said that, he noticed his wife down there, checking up on her son.

"He's alright, Lynette," Cuthbert said as he got down from the wooden board. He then looked at his son, he had most of his mother's features, such as the green eyes and the long face.  

"He is only fourteen," Lynette said, noticing the small scar on his hand. "He shouldn't be playing swords,"

"Well, he has to learn. And he does not play with them," Cuthbert said, as he patted the young boy. "Go to your mother," Cuthbert continued, as they both went for breakfast. When they left, he turned coldly to the sergeant, as if he removed his mask

"All the hunters are being brought here lord thegn," the sergeant said. Cuthbert merely nodded, without any hints of emotion.

"Bring the prisoners up here," Cuthbert said, as the sergeant bowed. His demeanour changed to a more militaristic manner. Sure enough, the prisoners were brought up one by one, including Harold himself. Harold still felt the pain of being struck down by a horse, as he limped badly even though the guards constantly scolded him.

"Kneel down!" the sergeant said, as they all forcibly does so. Cuthbert looked at all of them, tall, and well-built hunters. All of them have not only survived the wilderness of Nordlund but tamed them. Harold himself looked rather meek and small compared to them, which did intimidate him. 

"Lord thegn, they are all yours," the sergeant said as Cuthbert merely nodded. He adjusted himself to a more straight, proud posture as if elevating himself from them. 

"I am Cuthbert of Alleway, the thegn of Nordlund," Cuthbert addressed himself to the hunters kneeling in front of him. Harold could not help but feel a sense of home hearing Alleway.  The hunters do not even take him seriously, those who do not usually live under their rule. 

"As you know by now, we have your princess," Cuthbert said, his voice as emotionless as his eyes. He looked at each of them, seeing who will break easily. Harold saw that Cuthbert has changed, to the point where he was unrecognizable to him. His uncle's squire no doubt. Perhaps if he mentioned that, he would spare his life.

"This is a mistake!" one of the hunters yelled. "Everyone knew that the princess is dead, the woman you suspect is merely a doppelganger!"

"Your attempts in lying are impressive, I will give you that," Cuthbert said, as he pulled out his own longsword. Harold himself gulped at how sharp it was. He always sharpened those kinds himself, so he could not pull himself away from the details. "Your Agnetha... is not some random girl with a cloak, isn't she?" Cuthbert continued. 

Harold looked dumbfounded. Are they hiding something from me, he thought as he saw the hunters' faces, who look calmer than he was. 

"We do not understand," the other hunter said, catching Cuthbert's attention. "Not understand, I thought you would know by now," Cuthbert said coldly, as he was not convinced of his oblivious manner.