Chapter Fifteen

Harold still lay down on the floor, his body shivering even with the walls preventing the cold winds from reaching through. He spent most of his time thinking of the things he could have done should his uncle refused Agnetha's offer. Or rather if he killed her himself. 

Regrets, that was what clouded his mind. He could not possibly know what they were doing to Agnetha. Not that it mattered whether she lives, but he wondered what they would do if they killed her. No doubt, he would also follow her to hell. Executed like his father was. Harold was too cold to even say his prayers verbally.

Harold did not bother to peek out the door, as he was too tired from hunger to even see who was outside. He hugged himself like a baby, he saw his breaths were hot enough to melt the ice. And his mind was clouded with dreams of what could have happened.

And then, he heard grunting and screaming from the outside. He could hear the swords clashing with each other, often interrupted by sudden chinks and grunts of death. And finally, he could hear Edwin's voice.

"Where's Harold," The voice of Edwin said. Harold got up almost immediately, his strength granted to him as he peeked from the door hole. Sure enough, he saw several figures standing among the dead guards. A distinctly slender figure was none other than Edwin.

"Help! Edwin!" Harold yelled as loud as he could. The door would most likely have murmured his voice. Nevertheless, he banged on the door and shouted again. His mind could not fathom living here for another week. 

"Let me out!"

The door opened suddenly, as Harold jerked forwards all of a sudden. He saw Edwin, and then his uncle among the various other prisoners freed like him. The prisoners wasted no time, as they all gathered their weapons from the fallen guards. Soon, they all could hear faint steps and stomping.

"Now, where's Agnetha?" Erik said, realizing that no one here was her. Indeed, it struck him that she was the daughter of the Jarl, and hence she would be separated far away from them. 

"Does it matter, we have to go!" John said impatiently. "Those guards are already alerted!"

"You promised!" Erik replied back, as he pulled out his axe almost immediately. Almost everyone else also pulled out their weapons, even Edwin, who raised his sword to Erik's neck. Harold, one without anything to defend himself, could not help but utter out.

"We've not even escaped, and already you want to kill each other?" Harold hissed, as he then hears the stomping become louder. There wasn't much time, and they knew that they would be swiftly wiped out should they choose to fight the whole garrison. And then, Faizal remembered something.

"Wait! I think one of the guards said that the thegn has sent his men with Agnetha, out to some field near the woods." Faizal added as Erik went to a halt. His eyes blared as he realized what Cuthbert meant he would do.

"Gods... They already know..." Erik lowered his axe, his breaths growing short as Harold and Edwin were none the wiser. "What do you mean, they already know?" Harold said.

"For the week they have us imprisoned, Cuthbert was testing whether our lady has this... power, Magicka to be precise," Erik explained, which only made Edwin even more confused. "What do you mean, Magicka? What kind of power?" Edwin asked.

The stomping becomes much louder, followed by faint orders being barked from afar. "There isn't much time. All I can say is, that we have to save her,"

"What kind of power?" Edwin asked again, this time in a sudden hurry. He did not want to get caught, but he also could not help but to pressure the hunter on what he was hiding about Agnetha. But as soon as he asked, the knocking could be heard.