Chapter Thirty

The funeral was swift, as Kjatarn would have wanted it. Knut and Agnetha always remembered that he would want them to be less saddened, and more angered should his death be by Western hands. To see his death as one of a martyr, for all to follow. Knut knows that martyrs like him are what will inspire the next generation. But for Agnetha, he was but a father.

Knut lit the fire that made the boat aflame, with Kjatarn firmly placed in the middle. Knut was sure to only use a small boat, as his father would not approve of him wasting a longship. The boat slowly became brighter, as the crowd of his followers looked upon it. Agnetha knew what will happen next, as Knut brings a knife to her with a woman being held at the pole. "It has to be done, Agnetha," Knut said.

Agnetha slowly took the knife, as she saw the maiden breathing heavily. Although Agnetha could see she accepted her fate, the pain that comes with it frightened her. Agnetha could not close her eyes, as it would signal weakness to her people. With a sudden slit, Agnetha made sure that it was quick for the servant. As the latter's head dropped, Agnetha recited her chants to the fallen maid as she gave one more glance to Kjatarn.

"I will avenge him... we will..." Knut said softly to his sister, who still looked solemnly at the boat as Erik slowly threw the torch at the burning leaves. She allowed herself one more tear to escape her eyes before she promised him that she will be strong for him. That Kjatarn was right to believe in her. The boat burned brightly

Within the other end, Harold slowly walked away from the procession. As he felt it was not fitting to stay there for long. As walking through the shed, he saw John and Edwin packing away their wares and weaponry. He knew very well why they were packing.

"You couldn't possibly..."

"You heard what Kjatarn said. Only he would grant protection from them." John said as he swiftly placed his bow at his horse. "And now he is gone. It would be foolish to stay with them. You were right, and only if I had the foresight to see this."

Harold opened his jaw in disbelief. " but the gold..."

"Do you possibly think the gold is in our minds?" Edwin said bafflingly. "Those Nords know what our people did to them. I know... and I know better than to lend myself to those men."

Harold understood, but stood firm as they packed finish. "Aren't you coming to pack, Harold?" John asked. "You have always said that we should never have followed her, and you are right. At least we can find safe passage to Volmeria. A country down south the continent. I hope we do not run out of countries yet,"

"I can't leave... can't leave her like this..." Harold said as Edwin looked at him.

"You jest?" Edwin asked. "You not know what I heard on those ships? They said that if Kjatarn dies, every Westerner will pay for it. And he's now dead! What use are we if they will order our execution? Knowing well that Knut will be their new Jarl, the man who had just lost?"

Harold stopped and realised he did not know the words to say to his uncle. He then looked towards the crowd, with Agnetha amongst them. "And what is there else for me... besides fleeing for our lives..." Harold said. "I do not know what to say, except that this duty given to me... to protect her, gave me a new purpose."

"Honor... is that your answer?" John said. "Your decision to cling to that woman is beyond reasoning... but I cannot stop you. There is no point..."

John then went swiftly up on his horse, as Edwin looked at his father dejected. "We cannot just leave him here!" Edwin said.

"It is alright Edwin," Harold said as he plucked the necklace from his body. "Take this, cousin, and live. Find a purpose that befits you. That is all I have to say,"