Chapter Twenty

Harold took a moment to appreciate the silence that is bestowed upon him. He did not know when was the last time he was in a moment as silent as he is now. He could even hear the winds howling at him softly. 

He could not help but sit at the woollen bed that was close to him and utter his thanks to God. As if consumed by the pain, he prayed mostly to drive it away from his mind. He did not want anyone to interrupt his thoughts.

"Harold?" a voice said as Harold opened his eyes. It was Agnetha no less, who stood at the door. Harold at first, did not let his eyes linger on Agnetha  Harold sighed slowly as he nodded at her. "Is there anything wrong?" he asked nicely. He is bound to her as her guard, after all. 

He then took off his linen shirt, revealing a slight red slash that was gaping from his back. Agnetha saw the wound as Harold slumped to the bed cramped to the right corner.

"The wound must have been three days ago, since the pyre," Harold said as Agnetha cringed at it. She came to his side as she inspected it further. Her soft fingers tapped through his back, seeing the wound closely.

"The wound is large... And you did not even show it to me?" Agnetha said as Harold quickly covered it up. Embarrassed, Harold shook his head at Agnetha, a gesture telling her it was nothing. 

"There are wounds I have suffered more than this, no point to fret," Harold said, as his current one still itches at his back. "You do not need to care for it,"

Agnetha still stood there, as Harold realized that it was more than the wound that concerned her. "All of this time we have travelled together, and yet we barely conversed," Agnetha said. Harold nodded at her, she wasn't wrong after all. 

"What is there to discuss then, lady Agnetha?" Harold said as he put his cloak down. "I am paid to protect you, neither to talk. If you want to converse, go to Erik. Let me be in peace, woman."

"That is the point, I know much about Erik," Agnetha replied. "But I do not know about you at all, why do you still avoid me?"

Harold did not know much about what to say to her. She was correct; he did not part many words with her, other than aggravation. Harold sighed, realizing that at least, he could converse with her much friendlier than that day at Skoravik. But Harold already knew much about her. All the wrong reasons too. 

"I am sorry, perhaps you can start? You are a princess, yes?" Harold asked. Agnetha smiled weakly, as she walked closer to him. "A princess yes, Jarl Kjartarn is my father. But I am sure you already know..." Agnetha said as she looked around the cottage. It was humble, but very firm, something that she can appreciate. 

"How is he like? Is he honourable? He will honour our agreement, wouldn't he?" Harold asked her as if trying to understand his character. Agnetha looked at his shaking eyes. No doubt he would want to know whether her father will keep the end of his bargain. 

"Of course. One of my fondest memories of him is when he let a group of merchants go due to the blizzard, even though they trespass on his territory," Agnetha said warmly.  "My father is not necessarily a bloodthirsty monster like you are told, at least compared to some,"

"And... what would he reward us if we deliver you?" Harold said. It was rather blunt of him to treat her as a good to be carted to. But at this point, he merely wanted to be done with it. 

"Do not think my father is so cruel, he won't slash your wrists if he sees your darkened hair and eyes," Agnetha said, who was already quite annoyed by Harold's questions. "You speak as if we as a people do nothing but stab their friends in their backs. But you people also said that we are uncouth and terribly blunt. Perhaps it is wise to stick to a consistent principle or point."