Chapter Four

There was something that Harold liked when he woke up. A sense of peace before the long hard day ahead of him. In his case, it was the road to Klarelva.

He won't miss Skoravik, but he did wish he would stay here longer. After all, rest was getting lesser and lesser, and considering that winter would only be ninety days ahead, it would seem to be a tiring journey. He would say no, only if he hadn't said that a hundred times. Not for his uncle to blame, but Alfred. Very unlike of him to leave at such short notice. 

As Harold gathered his inventory in such a small space, he glanced upon his own longsword. Fine craftsmanship was imprinted on it, as even after a hundred years of use by his father and grandfather, its texture stands strong. His father made good use of it no doubt, back in the Great War. A proud thane of Westhaven, who have stood for hundreds of years thanks to men like him.

How did I end up here, he thought. The markings of the sword only made Harold feel worse.

By the dawn of sunlight, Alfred's men were already on their way out of Skoravik. Ten men all readying their horses as the cloaked woman once again came. Harold shook his head as he saw her again, not wanting to have another fight with his uncle.

"For a moment, I thought leaving you here would be nice," Harold said without even looking at her. Clearly, he did not appreciate her presence. The lady did not say anything,  as she merely packed her belongings, what little there were. Harold once again groomed Mary, as the horse rubbed her head at her owner. 

Harold looked at Edwin as he looked at him, already going to be on horseback as he was going to set off. "Always the early bird huh?" Harold said, giving off a grin to hide his dissatisfaction. As much as Alfred's men may be harsh and reckless, they were efficient in their job. And at least they knew not to bother him. Just then, Harold noticed that the cloaked woman was being raised up to Edwin's horse.

"You're protecting her?" Harold asked.

"Father told me to," Edwin said, as he gracefully got her up on horseback. Harold went to the horse, close enough for Lady to understand what he was saying. "I do not wish to fail in my duty,"

Lady simply sat there as Harold looked at her in the eye. This time, he merely sighed as he went towards her, trying his best to contain his emotions. "You try to do anything suspicious, and you will know," Harold said to her, his breath near enough to reach her. Under her mask, she looked as if she didn't even flinch at him. 

"I wouldn't dare if it makes you happy," she said under her mask before Edwin got up as well. "Did you really have to be so coarse, cousin?" he said as Harold got on horseback too. A long trip, this may very well be. 

"Klarelva, ninety days it is," Harold said under his breath as he saw Alfred signalling to leave Skoravik. He took one last glance into the city. Something in his soul told him that it would be a long, arduous journey ahead.

Either that, or he was merely cynical. Most likely the latter, Harold thought. 

...

Trees and the breeze of air were the only things that was constant in their journey. Harold could end up sipping a bit of ale like his fellow bandmates. But he only had nothing but bad experiences from it. Never again would he allow himself to be robbed of money by a bunch of urchins due to some drunken stupor.

"How far to Klarelva again?" someone yelled. Loud enough to startle the Lady as she shook Edwin. Alfred looked despondent as he turned to John. 

"Hey, how many days again?" Alfred whispered as John could barely understand. Harold didn't blame him; can't make himself look like a fool in front of his men.