Chapter 42: Depart and Detain

The notorious showers of April's end were violent on the leaves and the soil. Alongside the hammering of continuous rain came a bold wind that roused the woodland in spirals of dampened verdure. The vibration of the rain on the grass was akin to a melody; strumming the earth in an eloquent resonance - only to be swiftly shattered by the imposing breeze blowing in every direction.

There was a certain serenity to the rain and a sense of peaceful solitude held deep within the untouched forest. But now and then the rain would plummet harder and the wind would blow stronger - ripping through any sense of calmness as nature demonstrated its mighty power. It proved that, in truth, nothing was safe - not even if it was tucked deep within a fabled forest.

The bottom of the Seers patterned cloak grew heavy with each step on quenched soil, though her body remained completely dry thanks to a simple spell that acted as an unseen umbrella above her head.

The Seer almost tripped as her foot came in contact with something buried beneath the ground. Upon further inspection, she saw it was a wooden toy that had been lost to time - some kind of muggle contraption that had been left abandoned for years. She kicked it out of her way, unearthing it from where it had seemingly laid, peacefully, for who knows how many years.

The cottage ahead looked different in the rain. The gentle smoke that had billowed upwards from the chimney last time she was here was now rampant and uncontrolled. The windows and blinds had been tightly shut. The well-maintained flowers around the vicinity had sunk heavily - as though their spirits had spoiled - with some having been torn from their roots in the force of the wind.

The Seer's knocking on the wooden door was practically drowned out by the gale-driven rainfall that was hammering down around her. She waited a few moments but received no answer. However, the smoke from the chimney let her know that they were inside; no doubt seeking shelter and warmth from the unrelenting weather.

The Seer knocked again, this time more insistent. She pressed her face towards the door, her nose brushing the tip of the wood as she spoke. "I'm here to apologise," she shouted into the door, knowing that those on the other side would be able to hear her.

Silence echoed. Contemplation resounded. Then, eventually came a response from behind the timber.

"You're not welcome here," a voice rang out. And if the rainstorm outside was fierce, it was nothing compared to the vicious tinge that bound Glenda's words.

"I want to apologise for what I did. I bring you an offering of my forgiveness."

"We want no offerings," Glenda replied tonelessly. "We want nothing but peace and quiet. Now if you could-"

"Please, Glenda," the Seer pleaded, pressing a fist against the door-frame as she carefully laced her voice with an imploringly tender nature as the rain continued to pour. "I would not be able to live with myself if I didn't pay my regrets."

Then, Cassandra unexpectedly heard the wooden brace being thrown to the floor and the door swung open. At first, she suspected it would have been Glenda, but when the door fully opened she instead saw a lean, towering figure with inky-black hair and scar-specked skin. It took her a moment to process him again, despite this being the second time she'd laid eyes upon this beast of a man.

With his fists planted on his hips, Arawn stepped out. His eyes were locked on the Seer - his face grim and imposing. In a brief once-over, he appraised the woman presenting herself before him at his home and eased the door closed behind him. From afar, he was intimidating, but up close like this, he was magnetising.