Chapter 24: Disappearance and Deception

Estela stood in the Manor's courtyard, dressed in comfortable black trousers and a top, wrapping herself up from the night's raw chill with her grey travelling cloak which she bandaged around herself more tightly. She tied her long, tangled hair up into a ponytail, placing it comfortably out of the reach of the wind's seizing hands.

She was standing on the lighter side of the courtyard, where the warm glow of the hanging lanterns and the pale radiance of the moon granted her clear vision of her surroundings.

It was the early hours of the morning - probably no later than one o' clock - and in the chilly yet soothing breeze of the cloudless night, she took a moment to observe the vast gardens before her.

On such a clear night it was possible for her to see far beyond the ground of the manor, and if she craned her neck enough, she could just about discern a distant lake gleaming silver which met the black, faintly shimmering horizon in a striking contrast of colour.

No sounds met her ears except for the gentle wind that rose in a gust, rustling through the foliage around her, and the peaceful sounds of the water features, trickling away in the expanse of the grounds.

Suddenly aware of the cold, she began to turn back towards the Manor - she would wait for Tom and Alden inside - but as she turned towards the steps that led towards the front door, she saw the black doors closing, and watched a blond-haired boy jog his way down the steps towards her.

His heavy breaths rose before his face in a swirling, wisp of vapour. You'd have thought he'd been running a marathon the way his chest was rising up and down with each inhalation.

He looked somewhat surprised to see her, his pine-green eyes shining in the moonlight. "Evening, sunshine," he greeted, bringing with him the distinct scent of strong wine and almonds. Estela turned her nose up at strange combination of scents, but she didn't question it, despite her disapproval at the thought that Alden might have been drinking before his arrival.

"Nice holiday?" he asked casually, positioning himself by her side as he tied his scarf around his neck and then tucked his hands into his coat pockets.

He was referring to her time away from the Manor with Tom. And she was in no position to elaborate on that little outing.

"Lovely," she replied simply.

He arched a brow. "Did you visit a place you'd care to recommend, perhaps?"

She shrugged a shoulder. "I doubt it would really be your cup of tea."

"Ah," Alden mused. "More of a couples' retreat, I suppose?"

Estela's glared at him, and she caught sight of the curiously attentive spark in Alden's eyes.

"Why are you so interested, anyway?"

"I just wondered what place would be good enough to drag his lordship away from his work for more than a few hours," he said indifferently. "But perhaps it wasn't exactly the location that did that, eh?" He said with a wink.

"I don't know what you mean," she replied shortly.

"Of course you don't," he said sarcastically before his tone became more pressing - more probing. "Are you all right, anyway? After your abrupt disappearance, I mean."

"Yes, thank you."

She thought back to the dementor attack and how Alden must think she had been snatched away by the cruelly cold hands of the dementors, or perhaps even Fawley.