Chapter 34: Rage

Chapter 34: Rage

Estela knew she was doomed from the moment the large, blonde Auror's final curse struck her already injured body. And when it hit, it hit hard, sending a pain so intense throughout the entirety of her weakened frame that her mind wasn't even capable of fully comprehending it. In a way it was a relief, she supposed. She didn't want to have to feel the pain that was intense enough to knock her out completely.

She honestly wasn't quite sure if she was dead or alive. She simply felt as though she was in some eternal state of darkness that allowed her to think or dream or whatever it was she was doing at that moment. But as time went on, it almost felt as though her senses were gradually awakening.

That meant that she was able to feel the pain.

Once she became aware of her breathing, each slow, dragging breath intensified the pain - jarring and brutal in its horrendous vigour. She could slowly start to feel her body shutting down again; feel her mind slow and her senses numb as though they were trying to shield her from feeling her injuries.

But before the clutches of darkness could drag her back into its painless oblivion, she heard a voice whisper in her mind - familiar, deep, calming; the crash of a wave on the shore or a distant, thunderous rumble.

"Breathe," the voice reassured. "I am coming for you."

He was coming.

He would save her. 

She was safe.

And just before she blacked out, she was sure that the faintest of smiles twitched at her bloodied lips.

***

"What I did was necessary!" Anthony finally blurted, turning to face the Order.

"What you did was foolish, Anthony!" shouted Dumbledore immediately, his tone harsher than he had ever heard it.

The room fell silent between them as Anthony Goodwin sighed heavily, looking down at his hands that were visibly shaking.

"The next time you plan on doing something as ridiculous as that, you will consult me first," Dumbledore said severely. "Things may have worked out better for you that way."

Anthony looked up. "Part of it worked though, didn't it? We got Estela."

"But you didn't get the person you originally intended, did you?" Albus replied flatly. "I've warned you what he's like! I've warned you of how powerful he is! And after seeing the way he defeated every one of those who fought him: experienced Aurors and Squad members; members of the Order who are exceptionally skilled at magic -"

"I know," Anthony said glumly, sinking into a nearby chair. "I underestimated him -"

"Yes," Dumbledore said, "you certainly did. I don't think you realise the extent of the damages we have sustained tonight."