four: the greater good

The weekend was just as terrifying as last Friday. The anticipating nerves made everyone feel like they were running out of time. Surprisingly, Anon didn't message them on Saturday and Sunday. Perhaps they needed a break too. Everyone does once in a while.

A gray sedan pulls up to the side of the road with a fair-skinned, squinted-eyed girl. Miho felt the chills fall upon her shoulders as she starts to enter the campus. There were a few new changes that caught her eye. More security guards, CCTV's at every corner. She gripped tightly at the sides of her single, thick blazer. She felt like a deep-sea diver as she walked across the grounds, searching for some anchor she could find, something she could hold onto. She was getting lost. Her ears were ringing, and her eyes were tearing up, and she was so confused by it all. She needed some kind of cure, some kind of relief. Miho hoped she would finally have a normal high school year, but that daydream is done. Back in Japan during her middle school days, she had constantly felt discrimination towards her because she was a mixed Filipino-Japanese. 

Maybe, just maybe everything will be better when she left. As she does feel like fitting in with the other kids, she still had a gun behind her head, which felt way worse than being bullied. Her life was in grave danger.

She was grabbing onto her locker door for support as she stumbles and almost falls. Denise's voice echoes in her ears. "You okay, Miho? You look like you haven't slept in days."

Miho looks around but her head is pounding more than ever, and she is finding it hard to breathe, she simply ignores the worried president.

She had become dimmer, her hand is reaching for the lock.

"I-I'm sorry. Lately, I look around me and I feel as if someone is following me. Every time that damn Anon opens his DM's and types creepy messages for us, I can't help but feel... unsafe."

Denise looks over Miho's shoulders, "Sorry Miho. I understand why you feel that way." She pauses and gives the new girl a soft smile. "It's probably not going to be of help but, if you want, I'll walk with you to the gym. There's going to be this assembly, anyway."

"That would be great, Denise. Thank you."

After stuffing her books into the locker, Miho follows the president, relieved that she had at least gained a friend in this messy situation.

The two walked to the third row of chairs and found seats next to Yzabel and Jao, who figured to stick together since it was getting a bit more deadly.

"Hey, guys." A simple greeting comes out of Yzabel's lips. Jao stayed quiet clenching his bottle of pills tightly as if it was a stress ball.

The crowd of students quiet down their chatter as all the seats are filled and the assembly started.

Her hands patted uncomfortably on her skirt. Miho's head is throbbing with pain; she hated this kind of feeling. She was experiencing that feeling for the past weekend. Her body was sore. Her mind was weak. The fear was too much.

She has no recollection of what happened at the assembly, but she knows it must have been pretty intense. Just like always, her world was getting darker. She had no idea what was happening.

Gwen on the other hand was feeling the same yet, she had bottled up all of her fear inside of her. Every bang, every clank, every loud and startling noise she heard made her heart jump, and felt like she wanted to scream. Why was I like this? She repeatedly asked herself.

The mean girl's eyes then shift, widening at the sight of Akira. He had a bandage wrapping his wounded arm. She held her breath as she watched him tap his foot hyperactively.