ONE.

The emergency meeting is held at council headquarters in Sevierville, Tennessee

The emergency meeting is held at council headquarters in Sevierville, Tennessee. Mom has chosen to gather in the room specifically made for court hearings; It's smaller, not as expansive as the one they use for town hall discussions which means only a select few were chosen to attend... apparently, mom assumes panic will ensue once this information leaks.

I stare at Evie as she sits down at the large horseshoe table opposite my parents. Four of her groupies follow close, like always—her "advisors" (do note the air quotes), as they call themselves, but I know they're useless leeches.

Evie is smart.

She doesn't need advisors.

All in all, they're a fucking waste of space.

I don't know the names of the three female stooges—Blondie One, Two, and Three—but I know Khnurn.

Khnurn, who always sits to the left of Evie, whispering unnecessary bullshit into her ear... always leaning in too close, always lingering for longer than necessary, always making eye contact with me and ticking me off.

I'm not sure why a witch so powerful wants a man telling her what to do, but whatever. It really shouldn't concern me as much as it does, and yet... it's like an itch I can't scratch. A growl that lingers in the back of my throat... a deep seeded anger that longs to grow and blossom into a bloody fruit.

His aura is as black as the hair atop his head and he reeks of raw metal... it's an underlying scent, covered by magical herbs, but one I am certain even my parents do not smell. I have discovered that I seem to be cursed with senses that far exceed their own... An explanation of the reasoning behind this would be fucking awesome but since I have yet to shift and there is no other being out there with two Ancients for parents, we can't exactly lay down any theories.

I know Evie feels my eyes burning a hole into the side of her head. Even from the sidelines where I lounge, I can see her green orbs glance at me through her peripheral.

She knows I'm here.

Her breath hitches.

Her cheeks redden.

Her nostrils flare.

To everyone else, she appears calm and composed like always, but I see right through her mask and I will happily continue to make her feel uncomfortable because that's the effect she has on me.

Turnabout is fair play, after all—lesson number eight according to dad.

"Thank you, Evangeline, for being so prompt in granting our request for a meeting. I understand it was short notice," Marius begins his tiresome politically correct pleasantries and I roll my eyes. We have an alliance with the witches, so it's not like she had a choice if she wishes to keep that alliance.

She had to come.

"We will not drag this out any longer than need be," he continues, his deep voice booming throughout the spacious room, commanding the attention of all, "Vampires have been spotted drawing ever closer to our borders, venturing out farther and farther past their territory... soon, they will end up in more populated human areas and we cannot have that."