FIVE.

Mom's eyes are wild

Mom's eyes are wild. Darting from me to the ravenous horde of blood leeches behind me. She screams, "DUCK!"

She doesn't need to tell me twice.

I dive over the imaginary line of safety that I've drawn within my head, past her and my father, only to flip over and witness dad catch a vamp mid-air. His unsheathed lycan claws bury themselves deep within the under jaw of a scrawny vampire hellbent on leap frogging on my back.

Its black eyes are still focused on me as the last remnants of dying nerves cause its extended arms to twitch in a failed and feeble attempt at grabbing me. My nostrils are instantly assaulted with a stench I can only describe as skunk doused licorice. Black blood, thick and rancid, flows down my father's forearm in a gooey wave.

I will definitely be looking into the licorice company as soon as possible. Something tells me the "beef" gelatin may not be entirely cow...

Dad's eyes, now just as inky as the vampire ichor covering him, bore their menacing rage into the lifeless minion. He wastes only a second displaying his obvious displeasure at the deceased creature before leading the charge into the remaining vamps with my uncles hot on his heels.

Mom helps me up. She grasps my face, forcing me to look away from the battle before me. Her brown irises hide the gorey melee in the background as they flicker between mine, "Are you okay?" Her hands are warm, soft but equally strong, outwardly projecting a feeling of comfort and safety to my already bruised ego.

Let's be honest, had I been able to shift, I wouldn't be here now... seeking the surety of my mommy.

Not trusting my voice, I can only nod. I'm alive so that means I'm okay... damaged pride aside.

She pulls my head down and kisses my forehead. Mom glances at Maddy before demanding we both get behind her. I can only watch in mystified silence as her five foot, eight inch frame decides it's going to be the last line of defense between us and the fangers now feeling the wrath of the Ancients. Apparently, should one break through a furious half lycan half human vampire slayer, she will shield us by way of her outstretched arms.

Now, one might tend to question this tactic, but dad is actually saving those damn vamps by keeping them away from my mother. I am not under any common delusion that females are the weaker sex—thats a human misconception. Humans are the only species on this planet that thinks the female needs protecting... In the wild, animals know better. While dad tends to fight because he has to, mom has emotion on her side... the more she feels, the more blood she spills.

I'm certain there's science behind that somewhere.

"T-t-that's... Theron," Maddy gawks in between gasps of air, her hands on her knees attempting to catch her breath—that thing that one does to send oxygen to their brain so they don't look like a complete idiot by not following the branches of a family tree. I mean, fuck man, I look just like him.