SIX.

"You alright?"

"You alright?"

My eyes snap to DeLoren whose weary gaze is locked on the hand that currently rubs my aching chest. A dull, throbbing pain sits deep inside my heart and I'm not sure why I think applying pressure to this area will halt the hurt... it hasn't so far.

Khnurn glances at me with an arched brow I know will only end up in a losing game of twenty questions once we are alone, but he'll have to be disappointed. I don't know what's going on any more than him.

"Mm-hm," I smile reassuringly at DeLoren, dropping my hand. I'm too young for a heart attack so I chalk it up to heartburn instead.

I have a job to do.

The Ancient responds with a single grunt as Marius halts our forward movement. "We're here," he announces.

I follow his lead before squinting in disbelieving stupefaction, "Already?" Surveying the landscape there is only one question that plays like a broken record in my mind: This is all the territory they own?

I expected at least a mile long hike—and that's at bare minimum... not a thousand feet. They're wolves for crying out loud! Typical packs own hundreds of miles of land... this is a joke, right?

Both of Marius's massive shoulders shrug nonchalantly, "Being Ancients we aren't bound to territorial restrictions. We can go anywhere we please without repercussions so it seemed overkill to have such a large piece of land."

I can't imagine wanting to live so simply as my kind have always judged status in massive amounts of property. Much like humans, we are a greedy sort. The island of Barbados is all mine—information I discovered only after my mother's title was officially transferred to me. Barbadians assume they own the land they buy to live and work on but the truth of the matter is slightly more disheartening. They are merely renters, indicated in the very fine print of every land deed... mortgages that go straight to my bank account.

"Pisses the fuck outta some douchewad Alphas, though," DeLoren grins, a mischievous glint in his eyes... but it doesn't last for long. "Forgive me if I don't understand," he crosses his arms over his chest, "but how is this going to prevent the vampires from crossing into human territory?"

I look to Khnurn for inspiration—a waste of my fucking time. He gives me none.

I pray my cheeks didn't just lose their color.

Inhaling deeply before responding, I take a second to compose myself trying to retrieve the explanation from my head that I have rehearsed all day without giving away my actual dilemma. The absolute last thing I want to do is cause panic by divulging that my powers are currently sketchy at best, "It doesn't. I'm putting the wall around your territory first on a trial basis. If it holds, we can go bigger and venture into protecting the human lands."

DeLoren frowns. His hazel eyes harden in skeptical concern, "Look, witch, I'm going to be straight with you. I ain't needing for anyone in that house—" he throws a thumb over his shoulder "—to become vampire chum. The most important people in my life live there. If you have doubts about your capabilities, now is the time to tell me 'cause you don't want to feel my wrath if this fails."