TWO.

Khnurn wipes his fingers over the counter top

Khnurn wipes his fingers over the counter top. Inspecting them closely, his lip curls upwards, "Ugh." Personally, I see nothing wrong with the rooms Lina has given us. They are quaint and homey and modeled much like the cabins that pepper the mountainous Smokies surrounding us.

Sitting on the second floor of their headquarters in Sevierville, these particular rooms are used for guests such as us—a way to accommodate allies without asking them to spend unnecessary money on random hotel rooms that may be hard to find during certain seasons here. But Khnurn is used to the finer things in life and his displeasure knows no bounds when it comes to luxury. "Don't be such a queen," I eye him as his wary face scans the rest of the room.

His dark brows raise in blatant query, "Girl—you've met me, right?" He sucks on his teeth before recomposing his slightly defeated posture, "At least your magic will work in here. We need to practice."

I should be thankful that these rooms are not like the ones downstairs—the ones void of supernatural abilities... but I am not. Picking at my nails, I exhale loudly, "Yeah, I guess."

Khnurn squints and tilts his head making me feel like a cell in a petri dish, "Don't tell me you're still having problems."

I won't then, "Okay."

"I thought we were past this," he groans, running hands through his dark onyx locks and I understand his aggravation. Every spell I have tried to cast lately has backfired. I assumed when I was able to enchant Theon's bedroom that my magic had returned to me. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case. Now that I think about it, ever since he returned to the States with his parents, more complex casting has appeared to have abandoned me. Khnurn sighs, his face painted in gloomy concern, "How are you sleeping?"

How am I sleeping?

Ha.

I'm not.

I shrug, going back to examining my nails, "Fine."

"What about your appetite?"

My appetite...

Not existent.

"Fine."

"And your periods?"

Pft.

Irregular.

"Fine," I replied, again. I know where this line of questioning is going but there is something inside me that refuses to admit what could be happening. I do not have the time nor the head space to deal with such a possibility. If I refuse to acknowledge it, maybe it will just go away.

Vanish...

Disappear—never to come around again.

"Eve," he chastises me as he falls into the couch cushions beside me, "why are you attempting these games with me? Me? Of all people! It's down right atrocious." The sting across his face is almost palpable and instantly, I scold myself. I should be able to be honest with him—I need to be honest with him. He is my best friend after all and yet, it's a hard pill to swallow. "Receiving a familiar can be scary," he softens, resting a hand on my leg, "It's a lot of responsibility but all signs point to the meeting of your's. I know you know this."