FOUR.

Surprise is a very fleeting emotion

Surprise is a very fleeting emotion. Like the wind, it goes, blown away and replaced instead by irritation. My eyes narrow in deathly slits and I snarl, "Get the hell off me, Maddy."

There's a simultaneous glint to her blue irises. It shines and glistens in ornery revelry as she chuffs, an obvious wolfen laughter at my previous state of disorientation.

With one last pounce against my already sore clavicles—a dull pain that shoots outwards to greet my shoulders—she clamors off me. Her tail is high and wagging back and forth, it swishes against the air. Her chest falls to the ground, legs splayed in front of her as she yips at me, playfully. "Stupid mutt," I grunt as I right myself, climbing to my feet. It's more of a grumbling frustration; an attempt to alleviate the annoyance I'm feeling of being caught off guard but coincidentally also serves as a low blow to her werewolf/fae lineage.

Not my intent, but at the moment, I don't care much.

I was being reckless... careless. I should be more aware of my surroundings—rule numero uno per daddy dearest.

How did I forget one may ask?

Well, I'll blame that on disregarding rule number two: emotions make you weak.

Maddy levels her stare, a curled lip resulting in a low growl for unintentionally insulting her hybrid status. I'd apologize but then I'd be lying.

"Shift," I commanded with an equally deep grating rumble of my chest. I may not be able to do exactly what I demand of her but I am the son of the most powerful of our kind so my authority is recognized in our hierarchy, regardless of whether she consciously knows why... Her wolf side understands.

Bones snap, cartilage and tendons realign transforming muscles. Hair recedes beneath the skin, yanking backward through her pores. Her snout retracts—teeth disappearing into a more human semblance in a matter of seconds... but it is her cerulean eyes that never stray from mine, keeping me locked in their gaze with a cautious, heedful coldness that has me feeling nothing but smug.

Until she stands, at least...

When I realize she's all skin...

Only skin.

So much fucking skin...

And I know the second she processes my discomfort, the second she witnesses the redness burst through my cheeks and the bulging of my eyes—and that's before I cover them. Spinning around, I choke, "Shit, Maddy! Put on some fucking clothes!"

She roars, a delicate yet hearty laugh only a woman can achieve, "You're a wolf. Nakedness shouldn't bother you, Theon."

And she's right.

It's a commonly accepted thing within our society. We can't shift with our clothes on and for some damn reason the goddess made it so we are not automatically wearing them the instant we change back to human—a severely overlooked detail if anyone wants my opinion... but that is not what caused me to turn away from her.