𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟽 - 𝙷𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚛 𝙼𝚒𝚗𝚍 ?

Narcissa Malfoy

"Mud, is everything ready for the twins ?"

Christmas was near, so were my children. They had been gone for almost four months and I felt like it was forever, or was it really forever ?

Nothing else mattered to me, they were back. I helped Mud to set everything for the big day. New sheets for their beds, both in their favourite colour. A dark and electric blue for Draco and a powerful and deep purple for Hecie. I even put flowers on their nightstands. I did everything to make them feel at home. The Manor was their home. The place where they were born, the place where they grew up, the place where they laughed, the place where they cried. The place where they discovered passions and hobbies. The Manor was many things to them, I never questioned that. But the last thing they remembered of this place was the darkness, where they lost their stabilities, their family, their innocence.

So if new bed sheets and flowers could help them remember the great memories, it was worth the try.

"Yes, Mistress. Mud took care of everything the Mistress asked for," the house elf responded. She added, "Is Mistress eager to have Master Draco and Mistress Hekate back home ?"

"I'm absolutely delighted, Mud. Thank you, that would be all."

They were back. Finally.

Mud and I worked hard to have everything ready. The Manor was ready. It was odd to see the large estate like it used to be years ago. Everything seemed fake to my eyes, superficial. I could see behind the masquerade, would they too ? I hoped not.

The last hours of waiting were the worst. I checked everything twice or thrice. The train was supposed to arrive at 11 at King's Cross. They told me they were having lunch with Pansy and Blaise in London, so they'll be coming home 2 hours after by a portkey at the Ministry.

12 was ringing on the living room's clock.

What if the Manor wasn't their home anymore ? It could have been Hogwarts. After all, when I was their age, Hogwarts had become my home more than my family's manor. I wouldn't blame them, Hogwarts provides a friendly and warm vibes in each heart and soul who crossed the threshold of the castle.

I wonder if the Scottish castle has changed since the last time I was there.

It was in 1993. Draco and Hecie were there for their third year. Lucius and I received a letter from the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, saying Draco's arm had been broken by some hippogriff. We were asked to come as soon as possible.

Lucius was having a meeting with Dumbledore, while I was going to check on Draco. It was kind of odd, being in Hogwarts again after all these years.

20 years it had been.

I remembered every passage, every corridor, every corner notwithstanding the fact this castle was an enormous maze where it was easier to get lost than in any other place in the world.

I remembered my youth, my Slytherin robe, my head-girl pin, my high socks, and my hair tied in a ponytail.

I remembered Bellatrix – the brightest witch Hogwarts had ever known according to Professor Slughorn's sayings – driving me across the castle and the loud sound of our feet meeting the stone floor, our cold late night talks in the Slytherin common room warmed up by the fireplace. Bellatrix was in her fifth year when I first started at Hogwarts, therefore we only spent three years together.

I remembered Andromeda, who was only a year older than I, therefore, we shared almost our entire educational years. In fact, we used to share everything : our dorm, our clothes, our knowledge and, to my deepest regret, our secrets. She told me in her last year that she met a boy, she didn't say much, only it was a secret and it should remain one. I wish it did, but once she left Hogwarts, she left us as well, for this boy, a muggle-born. She left me. I spent my last year at Hogwarts near the secret place we used to go together when she was there, with me, hoping to see my sister coming in secret, like she promised me before leaving, but she never did.