Date

The coupon was so special that it allowed us to have a four course meal on the house. Mirio was so delighted when the steak came, "Remind me to thank Sir Nighteye again!" He exclaimed.

"Yes, you said that two minutes ago, Mirio." I was surprised at what happened too. I was expecting to have at least a discount for our meal but apparently not. Everything we had was free.

Because we have been working under Sir Nighteye, Mirio and I were already receiving compensation. Sir Nighteye was generous with our pay that we were receiving more than the rest of our class. We could pay for the meal if we wanted to but it was already free so we didn't refuse the gift. We barely eat out in fancy places like this anyway, Mirio and I had an agreement that we'll save up so we can get an apartment with Tamaki after graduation. Nejire would have loved to join us but her parents already had an apartment ready for her, it would be a waste to let it go.

"So, how have you been, Y/N?"

I stared at Mirio, "We're together every day, sunny. If there's any update in my life, you'd know."

"Nejire told me you're receiving anonymous love letters in your locker." Mirio pouted, the ever frank and honest boy can never hide anything.

I scrunched up my nose, "I received two and I think that's just a prank." I waved off the idea that anyone could be interested in me. Sure, I wasn't ugly but compared to Nejire, who can really like me?

"Prank? You're amazing!" He pouted more. "I'm sure anyone who wrote that knows you're amazing!"

I started to laugh, "I'm not sure if you're jealous or supportive."

Mirio opened his mouth to respond but he paused and closed it. "I... I am neither." He looked at his steak, poking it with his fork, "Look, I just know that whoever gets to date you is one lucky guy. Don't beat yourself up."

Then his blues found my eyes again, "Just...if you like someone and plan to date them, you'd tell me right?"

My heart ached. I wanted to tell him that I like him and that I wanted to date him but how can I? Mirio is destined for greatness and I...was simply there to watch him.

Besides, he didn't need the distraction and I simply refuse to ruin the friendship that we had.

"Of course." I told him quietly, reaching out and squeezing his hand. My hand looked small, too small, against his but the feeling was safe and familiar. His hand always felt like home.

"I love you." He murmured softly. "You are my best friend, I love you."

I could almost swear that I saw my life pass by my eyes as I heard those words from him. Mirio was always so affectionate towards me but he has never actually told me he loves me.

As a friend.

"I love you a lot too, Mirio." I gave his hand another squeeze. His hand turned, grasping mine. "Don't worry, sunny, I don't plan to date anyone soon."

"Aw, don't say that." He rubbed his nose with his free hand. "A beautiful girl like you should go on many dates. Guys should take you on amazing dates!" Mirio regained his energy, "I can take you out on a date!"

Then, just to tease him, I smirked, "Is this not a date?"

He paused, reddening on the face, "Ah! Stop teasing me! I just might fall for you!" Mirio grasped his chest, right above his heart, "My poor heart is about to burst!"

"You always say that." I laughed.

"Because it is about to burst! A pretty girl like you flirting back is too muc for my poor heart to bear!" He chuckled before grinning wide, "Don't blame me if I really fall for you, Y/N. Keep on teasing me and I'll really jump off."

Why are we not dating really?

***

"You told me that you're scared to tell him." Tamaki broke the silence between us. I snuck off after curfew to Tamaki's room. The poor boy was so surprised that he almost woke up the entire building.

We sat on his bed, our backs on the wall.

"Should I tell him?" I pouted at Tamaki, the only one who can make sense of all of these. We have been friends for years and Tamaki has known about my little crush for awhile. He promised to keep the secret and I was almost glad to share it with someone because I needed to talk it out with somebody else.

"You said you don't want to ruin what you have." He hit me with my own words, reminding me of the answers I gave him when he asked why I just didn't tell Mirio about my blossoming feelings.

"Tamaaaa~"

Tamaki glanced at me, giving me a small smile. "Even if he doesn't return the feelings, do you think Mirio would let anything ruin your friendship? He values you too much to do that."

That's true.

"And what if he does like you back? Is that not worth the fear?" Tamaki added softly. He looked at the window, staring at the bright full moon.

I looked at Tamaki, the kindness on his face evident. He and I looked up to Mirio, I can say he admired Mirio more than I could ever do. Tamaki has always seen Mirio as the sun, the brightest sun. To which Mirio retorted that if he was the sun, then Tamaki was something simply even bigger. That Tamaki could wipe the sun out in an instant.

"Thank you, Tama." I leaned my head on his shoulder, surprising him.

"No problem, star."