Festival

After finally catching up with everybody, Mirio asked if I could walk with him. I said yes, of course, and asked for him to wait for me to change. Being the sweet boy he is, Mirio helped out with the booth while waiting. He still had his unusual strength, which may have been a result from his years of training.

"Thanks a lot Mirio!" I heard them say as he finished helping out. The tall blond offered more help but the class waved it off, saying that he has already done so much.

"See you in the festival, Lemillion!"

His smile froze on his face but it was so quick that no one else even noticed it. I approached him, feeling that same pain grip my heart. I wanted to offer help to him, some kind of solace but I didn't know how to reach out to him about it.

Because I didn't know what to say.

"Miri?"

He turned around at the sound of my voice, his glow casting a stronger hue than his dwindling one. He offered his hand to me but I threw myself to him. Mirio was surprised but he caught me nonetheless.

"Hey star." Mirio whispered to me, wrapping his protective arms around my form.

Our classmates squealed around us, mumbling how cute we were or how we have always been cute together. I didn't want to break their hearts if I told them the truth about my sudden action.

I could feel his heart beating so fast in his chest and I smiled knowing that I would be the only one to render confident and ever shameless Mirio Togata nervous.

"Say something Mirio!" They teased.

His chuckle made his chest vibrate. "Can't! I don't know what to say"

And apparently, I can render him speechless too.

I looked up at his smiling face, wondering what truth lies beneath his mask. "Shall we go? I can't wait to show you around. Everyone has been working hard."

Our classmates practically pushed us out of the dorm which made Mirio laugh, "They're so eager to get us out of the way, huh?"

"Let's go." For now, I'll take this time to think of a way to bring it up and talk to him about it. For now, we'll enjoy the peace. I pulled him away, leading him to the path. There were various students carrying rows of costumes, stacks of props, and number of furniture.

Many of them waved and greeted Mirio, obviously happy that he visited. The reason for his leave was unspecified for the other levels and courses, nobody knew except for the class, the staff, and the few students with us in that mission.

"Senpai!"

We both stopped in our tracks when we saw two of the I-A girls working with Nejire - what was their names?

"Uraraka! Tsuyu!" I was glad I was with Mirio since he had a talent for remembering people. "How have you two been?"

The two younger girls walked up to us, "We're feeling better." Uraraka smiled happily then her smile faltered, "Uh, how are you?"

"We're great. We're going on a quick date!" Mirio wrapped an arm around me, pulling me close. "Are you preparing for the festival?"

"We are, kero. Come and watch us, okay?" Tsuyu urged us then she asked, "How are your preparations?"

"We're almost done setting up our maid cafe. Come and support us too, okay? I'll make sure to give you cakes on the house." I took my turn to speak to them. The girls seemed very pleasant and according to Nejire, they were both very talented too.

"We will!"
"We'll bring our friends, kero."

Then Uraraka remembered that they still had to go and practice so they bade goodbye to us. Leaving Mirio and I in silence again. Occasionally, we would hear music from one of the areas we pass by, mixture of voices and laughter, and meet people going back to their dorms.

The sun was setting, casting a soft orange on the school. It reminded me of Midoriya's sunset glow, the warmth he had, and the genuine smile he had for people. It was hard not to be fond of the boy the way Mirio was.

I looked at Mirio, wondering what was in his head and why, for some reason, he was so comfortable with silence. He always made sure to fill the air with some kind of story. He's usually so exuberant like the sun, affecting those around him.

He seemed to have felt my eyes on him so he glanced my way and gave me a small smile. Mirio looked tired.

"We're bringing Eri to the festival."

I didn't know what to say. Why was Mirio still so involved in that child's life? She was safe already, wasn't she? She was the reason why he lost his quirk so why was Mirio so involved in her life?

Of course I didn't have to think too much about it. He was not compared to the symbol of peace, All Might, for nothing. His desire to help people is strong and his sense of justice not too far off. He was too good, too loving for the world.

And honestly, I just want him to focus on himself once.

"This is my stop, star. I-"

"When will you think about yourself, Mirio?" I asked him quietly before he could leave the campus. He was startled at the question but I had more. "When will you focus on yourself for once? Sir Nighteye died. You lost your quirk. But here you are, all smiles about it. You're even taking Eri for the festival!"

"Is that a problem?" He looked hurt.

"Taking the girl who was the reason for your loss of quirk to the place which trained your quirk isn't making sense, Mirio. You're rubbing salt on your own wounds." I was harsh and it clearly showed on his crest-fallen face.

Mirio shook his head, "You don't understand."

"No. I feel like you don't understand." I spat out bitterly before turning my heel and walking away.