Mirio

"What?"

Mirio slumped on the floor, "I can't hide it from you." He lifted his hand, staring at it for a few minutes, "I used to hate my quirk, remember?"

"Why can't I have a stronger quirk, Y/N?" Mirio was smaller than he was. We were walking home after dropping Tamaki in his bus stop.

I pouted at him, "But it is strong!"

"No Pro Hero has this quirk. I can't fight big, mean villains with this." He shared with a frown.

But I was insistent, "You sure can! No Pro Hero has that quirk yet! You're about to give the world its first disappearing quirk!"

Mirio glanced at me with a small smile forming on his face, "You think so?"

"Yes! Nothing can stop you, Mirio!"

I remember his repeated sentiments, the ideas that he wasn't going to end up as a Pro Hero as planned because he can barely go through walls without getting stuck.

He had a hard time with it, often slipping because he'd lose his breath or panic with the loss of his sight whenever he'd go through any solid objects. With his permeation quirk, Mirio could only permeate, no thought in his mind but that.

As often as he'd go sad about it, he'd easily pick himself up, saying that he'd still give the world its first permeation quirk - similar to what I have told him years before.

"How can I give the world its first permeating Pro Hero now?" Mirio mumbled from his position on the floor. I sat beside him and kept my mouth shut.

"How can I make Sir proud now?" Mirio whispered through the quiet stream of tears on his cheeks. Although Sir Nighteye assured him that he will be fine, Mirio couldn't see the light waiting for him at the end of the tunnel.

All he knew was the quirk he treasured, the quirk he worked on, the quirk he relied on so much to help him achieve his desire to be a Pro Hero disappeared. It was like losing a friend and you'd just find yourself with nowhere else to go.

He lost a big part of himself, a part of himself that made him so unpredictable. And it broke him, it broke his heart and spirit to even have the idea that he has to accept the fact that Eri could not reverse the effects immediately. Or the fact that even with the scientists working on the bullet provided to them by Fat Gum, it was still insufficient as the sample was only a working model and that what was in his system was a full working one.

He slammed his hand on the floor, his face expecting that it'll go through like always. Mirio brought his hand up again and started crying. I could feel a sob coming up my throat but I held it in. Mirio needed me more.

He started crying again. Mirio was tired from his repeated failure to permeate through a thin wall. I could feel his frustration, his sadness over the dream that was so out of his reach.

I wrapped an arm over his shoulder and pulled him close, telling him that I was there for him like always. His figure leaned on me, shaking from his broken sobs. I have never heard him so pained in his life.

I wrapped my arms around my best friend, wanting to console him. "I'm here for you, Mirio." That was the first time I've initiated contact. We were young, I was still a bit reserved so Mirio always had to be the first one to give me a hug. That was probably the first time I've ever said those words to him too. I didn't know what else to say.

We sat beside each other, nothing but a mere inch between us; he was breaking apart under my grasp and I was trying to keep him together.

We stood there, arms wrapped around one another. He clung to me, trying to hold himself back from falling into despair. I kept him steady, trying to offer him myself to keep him grounded.

"I want to save people. I still want to save people." Mirio spoke through his sobs, it was soft but it was so loud in my ear. I could hear the, "Why did this have to happen to me?" or the, "How can I save people if I'm quirkless?"

"I want to mean something. I want to be a great hero who will save people. I want to help." He told me, his voice clear in my ears.

And I knew that encouraging him or telling him to be positive isn't going to work out. I know in my heart that it wasn't what he needs to hear so I repeated the words I would tell him constantly, "I am here for you."

"I'm here for you." Nothing else can be said right now. He only needed his friend, I didn't need to say anything else aside from that.

Mirio stopped crying after awhile, his vacant expression plastered on his face. This was Mirio Togata, crumbling under the crown placed on his head when he was put on a pedestal by UA High.

He stopped crying, pulling back from our embrace. Mirio wiped his nose and sniffed. This was Mirio Togata, the boy who only wanted to be better with his quirk so he can be a Pro Hero.

Everyone else thought Mirio was indestructible. Every single day, Mirio always had a smile on his face. No matter if he failed to permeate through a plank in grade school or failing Present Mic's exam in high school, Mirio kept his head up. He kept his spirits up and everyone admired him for it.

He trained hard, focused on his goals, and finally, just when he was about to graduate and reach his dreams, everything was snatched away from him.

Behind closed doors, Mirio was afraid too. He doubted too. He is weak too. He crumbles and shakes under pressure, caving in when everything seems to be to heavy even for his unbelievable strength to bear.

All he wanted was to be a hero. He didn't exactly want to be the best. He just want to be able to help. It just so happens that on the steps he took towards his dream, he became so good at it that even Pro Heroes looked at him, whispering to themselves that he would be the next All Might.

I looked at Mirio and gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"You know that I am with you every step of the way, right?"

"I'm right with you, Mirio. I'm with you every step of the way!" I assured him, making him smile.

And this statement never fails to make him smile.

"I know, star. Thank you."
"Yeah? Thank you, Y/N, thank you."