Eri

"Is that her?"

Eraser Head nodded, his eyes still glued on the white-haired girl separated from us by a glass window. "Everyone did a lot to save her. You did a lot too." He glanced at me briefly before turning back to Eri. "Sir Nighteye will be so proud-"

"Don't." I clenched my fists. Not yet.

My former teacher let out a breath, his eyes still on the girl who was isolated in her room. Eraser Head chose to tell me what happened when I was out. The entire tale haunted me, chilled me to realize what I missed out on.

"He knew that his life was on the line, Y/N." This is the statement that he finished the story with. "That is what heroes do. We save others even at the expense of ourselves."

I couldn't find the words to express the pain of losing the mentor who took us in so I didn't speak. He was right though, I was also sure that Sir Nighteye knew, especially with his quirk. He was a brilliant man, of course he knew.

But that doesn't make it hurt less.

"If her quirk is to be able to rewind, does that mean she can bring back Mirio's quirk?" I asked and he seemed to have expected it.

"Maybe. Her quirk is unstable and untamed, we don't want to risk it."

I was enraged. Mirio was at the top. What does he mean by-

"Mirio doesn't want to push it too. He asked me the same question and I gave him the same answer. Maybe. For now, we'll have to do whatever it is that we can." Eraser Head laid a hand on top of my head, "You know what you have to do now, don't you?"

This reminded me of the days when he would ask me to watch over Mirio as he trained. He asked me to keep the loud Mirio away from trouble. He asked me to help Mirio keep up with his studies.

"Mr. Aizawa." I teared up, "How?"

"You'll know. You're his star."

***

After a day in school, I decided to visit Mirio in the hospital. It was so weird not having him around, like a big part of me is missing. He was also not responding to my texts and I was getting worried.

knock knock

"Star?" I looked up from my bag, was that him? Is he really here?

Wasting no more time, I opened the door for him. Mirio stood by my doorway with his bag in his hands. "Did you just arrive?" Behind Mirio was Tamaki who still nursed the bandages at the side of his face.

"No, I'm leaving." Mirio chuckled nervously, rubbing his nape.

"Leaving?"

Mirio shrugged, "Well not for good. I'm taking a leave of absence from the school...with the no quirk and all." With this, Tamaki pressed his forehead on the wall. "Can we come in?"

I stepped aside, letting them both walk in my room.

"Did they tell you that you can't attend UA because you lost your quirk? That's unfair!" I demanded.

Mirio shook his head, taking a seat on my bed. "No, star. This is my choice." Tamaki sat beside him, "Tamaki will still be here and I'm entrusting you to him so I'm not so worried."

He was faking that smile, that nonchalance.

"I told you. You can stay. Mr. Aizawa was encouraging you to stay." Tamaki grumbled, obviously against the idea that he was leaving too.

"I know but how can I attend my classes? Our training? Besides, we don't have work-study anymore..." He said the last statement quietly. "It will be quick, I promise. You won't even have time to miss me."

"But we will. You know we will." I sat on the empty space left on my bed, keeping Mirio between us. But I resigned to the idea. Like what I've said before, once Mirio want to do something, he'll do it.

Mirio laid his arms over our shoulders and drew us closer to him, just like the way he did when we were young. I felt Tamaki's arm pull me closer and I relented, wrapping them both with mine.

***

4:02 pm
From: sunny

We went to visit Eri today!
I'll try and come over to see you and the others after classes!
Love you, starrr~

The message broke me out of my thoughts. Because I have been out for awhile, I wasn't able to attend the planning of the booth for the school festival. The Class III-A decided to go for a maid cafe which meant I also had to participate.

"Ah! Y/N! You look so cute!"
"Too bad Mirio isn't here to see this!"
"Let's send him a photo to brighten his day!"

I laughed at their words. Before Mirio left, we did tell out classmates eventually that we were dating. It seemed like they were expecting it for awhile and made several bets on the matter.

I typed up a reply for Mirio, telling him that the class was in the dorm room, preparing for the maid cafe.

"Adorable!" Nejire hugged me and twirled me around. "You're so adorable, Y/N!"

"Too bad you can't participate, Nejire." I showed her the cute maid costume that our classmates made for the servers. "But we'll definitely support you during the pageant!"

"I'll get that crown this year! This is my last!" She said with a determined look on her face.

"Hello everyone!"

The class perked up at the sound of Mirio's voice. I turned, missing his warm glow but seeing a faint yellow. This isn't his light.

Tamaki walked to me and we both watched as our classmates all gathered around Mirio.

"You can still see the sadness in his eyes." Tamaki pointed out and I saw it too.

"He's losing his glow." I added.

No matter how hard he tries, Mirio is succumbing to the darkness.