Chapter 6

TW: Violence and blood ahead. Mild dubious consent and past mentions. Proceed with caution.

***

Jungkook knew this was the stupidest idea ever. What was he even thinking?

He trekked through the dark alleys of New York—a dark side majority of the movies and TV series failed to show—with his heart in his mouth the entire time. Now Jungkook wasn't an adrenaline junkie. He used to be one, in his teen days. But after the stalker practically stole the better part of his life, he sought adrenaline rush only through games.

If one looked closely, they'd notice the tremble in his hands. His knees locked now and then, making it harder for him to keep walking. One would think it was because of the cold, but he knew differently.

The thick padded jacket and the winter gloves did very little to keep the cold outside. His beanie was pulled tight to cover his ears and the facemask was intact to hide his face from the public. Now and then, he threw a glance over his shoulder, checking if anyone was following him.

His sweet grandparents would roll in their graves if they knew what he was about to do. Not to add his brother and his parents. He was the apple of their eyes. Namjoon would fly immediately and would take him away to hide him from the world if he even heard a whiff of his stunt. Worse, Jimin would have his hide when he finds out. If he were there, he would have never allowed Jungkook to do something stupid and reckless as this.

But Jungkook had no choice. Jimin's life was on the line. It has been three days since he was taken and Jungkook spent every waking minute with a heavy weight in his chest.

It wasn't just because he was in love with the agent. It was also the guilt. It was eating him from the inside. Jimin wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for him. So when a video arrived yesterday, Jungkook had flipped, losing the last thread that tethered him to his sanity. He had to bite the inside of his cheeks to stop himself from crying.

He had to clench his jaws and chant it wouldn't do any good if he panicked to keep him from slipping. Jimin wasn't there to comfort him this time. He knew Taehyung had the doctor on speed dial and wouldn't hesitate to call if he slipped. So, he had stayed silent.

It was true. When pushed too far, humans, even the weaker ones fought back with everything they got. That was what Jungkook was doing now. He maintained a brave face in front of Taehyung and the other agents while cracking down on the inside.

The video message was loud and clear. Jimin's face was bloody and swollen. His t-shirt was soaked and he was slumped over a chair. The only thought that kept Jungkook sane was that he was alive. The message asked him to come alone.

But the gamer knew the FBI would never agree to use him as bait. Not when his life was in danger. However, the young heart was in love and didn't give a fuck about the dangers that awaited him. If he was the one the stalker wanted, he'd give them that.

He didn't have a plan, honestly. Jungkook didn't even know what he was doing until he had Jimin's pistol tucked in his waistband. Jimin usually carried his gun all the time, except while going out since he wanted to lure the stalker to him. That day they had sex and Jimin had left his gun under the pillow on his side of the bed.

Taehyung had been in a meeting with the other agents all day, discussing an alternate plan to rescue Jimin. The time was ticking and with no other better plan, Jungkook took the worst weapon in his hand. He'd used their trust in him to drug them with sleeping pills he always had in his medicine cabinet.

The three agents—Taehyung, Yoongi, and Hoseok—hadn't suspected a thing when he handed them a mug of hot coffee. Well, Taehyung's eyes widened when he saw the other two slumping in their seats, but it was too late by then.